iOS 4.0 Restore jailbroken iOS 4.0 to 4.0 still possible? (With 4.0.2 out)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by exscape, Aug 28, 2010.

1. exscape

exscape New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Note: The first two paragraphs (not counting this one) are basically useless backstory. I always ramble on too much in posts like these.

Long story short: I broke my iPod. Kind of. Water damage; I did the rice-as-a-dessicant deal after turning it off in panic with the display clearly broken (very bright and with every second line black) after only a few seconds with water splashed on it. Surprisingly, when I took it out of the bag two days later, the display and touchscreen is 100% as new

Please Register or Log in to view images

eek: ), but it has no sound except for the Clock application! No music, no game audio, no video audio. Just alarms...

So, since my insurance covers me being a klutz, I'm having the local Apple-certified repair shop take a look at it. They said over the phone that they'll most likely say "nothing to do but replace it all", but they can't tell the insurance company that before they see it. SO...

... I want to wipe it clean (the jailbreak going away with it), since it has cached versions of my mail, most of my music, photos and whatnot that I consider private. Since the only broken thing is the sound, browsing this is easy as pie if they were to be immoral enough. (Even if not, they'll likely use my music etc. to test it... So I'll only sync a few items over before handing it to them.)

So, the question is: Can I simply alt-restore to a 4.0 IPSW I have lying around, or do I need to involve stored SHSH blobs into this? If I need the SHSHs, is THIS GUIDE (use hosts to remap gs.apple.com to saurik's server, DFU mode, restore) all it takes?

I could of course simply restore to 4.0.2, but in case they do repair it (or I get it back and the insurance covers a new one), I'd rather keep the jailbreak possibility.
  2. Stemoy

Stemoy Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If you have shsh's already you can restore to 4.02 and even if they repair it you can restore to 4.0, that's what shsh blobs are for. Or you can restore it on 4.0 now, but I think it'd just take more time. And if they replace it its not going to be 4.0 or 1 very likely anyways
  3. exscape

exscape New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    D'oh! I didn't think that far... Heh.

My reasoning is that if it's replaced, I'm hoping for cash rather than a physical replacement, so to speak; if so, I'll just get a 4G, unless the unlikely happens and they aren't announced next week (the day before my service appointment).