Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

iOS 5.1 Restore Error 26, NOR Firmware, iPaperweight?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by hilemike, Mar 11, 2012.

1. hilemike

hilemike New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I know many people are (rightfully) annoyed by the misuse of the term "bricked," but I'm starting to feel like I'm at that point of no restore. I've followed the advice of several guides on what to do with common restore issues and have tried going through the steps that fix other restore errors (that I'm not getting) in an act of desperation.

I have an iPad 2 that I jailbroke using Absinthe 0.4, which worked wonderfully. Things got a little flakey after several weeks as they sometimes do, so I decided to restore the stock firmware and start over. Long story short, I can't restore and get Error 26, which as posted on this forum and elsewhere points to "False version of the NOR flash firmware. Use the correct sn0wbreeze version." I can't use sn0wbreeze on the account of having an A5 chip and don't know what else to try when I can't even get back to stock firmware. (I tried in restore mode, DFU mode, using 3 different computers, 4 different cables, different versions of iTunes, etc., which I can elaborate on if need be.)

Does anyone know the details of what Absinthe does with the NOR firmware, and if so, is there any way to undo/fix that on an A5 device? If an end user can't fix this, has anyone had experience dealing with Apple on restoring a jailbroken device? Do I lie and say I've never heard of such a thing, or is that like going to a medical doctor for drug overdose and saying I think I ate something bad?

Any suggestions are welcome and much appreciated. Thanks for reading!
  2. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Take it to Apple.
  3. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Apple will most likely try to boot it up and give you a replacement device after seeing it won't boot. You will probably want to avoid mentioning jailbreaking and focus on factual statements like "it won't turn on"
  4. hilemike

hilemike New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    For anyone else getting this error, Apple did happily switch out my iPad 2 that is under warranty.

Out of curiosity and before I would jailbreak again, does anyone have any thoughts on the fact that jailbreaking using Absinthe seems to have bricked my device. I understand the risk of losing data if one day a device crashes and no longer cares to boot after loading it down with a multitude of shoddy hacks, but I thought restoring was ALWAYS an option. Did a NOR chip coincidentally go bad? I'm certainly not trying to assign blame, I am just curious if this is a known issue or not.

Anyway, thanks for your time.