Restore Error 1604

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Tim55253, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Tim55253

Tim55253 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Whenever I try to shift-restore to the custom firmware it always gives me the 1604 error. I've restored to factor shipped state, than tried to Jailbreak like 10 times. Ive figured out its not that shift restore doesn't work cause when I shift restored to the 2.2.1 firmware I downloaded (cause I thought the firmware that Itunes restores to when I normally press restore was messed up) it works perfectly fine. But when I try to restore to the custom firmware, it would start "Extracting contents" than the ipod screen would just turn black while it says "Preparing Ipod for Restore" when normally my ipod screen would have the boot logo and a process bar under it.

Ive tried:
    - Restoring to factory shipped firmware than Jailbreaking
    - Uninstalling and reinstalling itunes
    - Ending and stopping "Apple Mobile Device" and "Ipod Service" than pre-jailbreaking
    - Tried different USB slots

None of them works, could some please help me ?

EDIT: Seems like theres a problem with pre-jailbreaking.

I realized that it was either the pre-jailbreaking or the firmware that was the problem, so I decided to try something. I tried to shift-restore to the custom firmware when my iPod screen shows a USB and the iTunes logo, it gave me 1604 error. Than I thought "Hmmm ... I've always restored to factory shipped state after failing to restore to custom firmware, maybe its the prejailbreaking thats a problem.", so I pre-jailbreaked than tried to shift-restore to the original firmware, this gave me a 1604 error.

It has to be 1 of 3 problems
    1. iTunes doesnt like the custom firmware
    2. Something wrong with Pre-jailbreaking (I MIGHT be doing it wrong, but probably not)
    3. Custom firmware is corrupted
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You do the restore while you have the white screen, right?
    Or do you restore when your iPod is still black..?
  3. Tim55253

Tim55253 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I do it while its still white.

EDIT: Actually ... Ive tried both, since you know, Ive tried and failed about 20 times now.
  4. Joeyl10

Joeyl10 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ended iTunesHelper.exe?
  5. Tim55253

Tim55253 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I ended all processes that had anything to do with ipod/apple/itunes.
  6. bloodfalkon

bloodfalkon New Member

yea i get the same problem as you do and ive done everything u have done too but i get same prob. The only thing is tht ive tried quickfreedom and pure pwnage 3.0

can someone plz help us =(
  7. Favetti

Favetti New Member

Same problem here
  8. Tim55253

Tim55253 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lol ... Ive tried so many methods. Ive tried QuickFreedom, Redtool, Pure pwnage, I even tried to do a tethered jailbreak than NOR Only it to Untethered but the tethered jailbreak didnt work either. Im starting to think iTunes just hates me o.0
  9. bloodfalkon

bloodfalkon New Member

well i havent tried as many methods as u but i actually do think itunes hates me too cuase i can never get the itunes update to work o.o
  10. Sean the Pirate

Sean the Pirate New Member

Actually I seem to be getitng this too. The jailbreak failed, and now I can't even restore to factory settings.