[RESOLVED] MacBook Pro 13" 2.4Ghz vs HP Pavilion DV6-2154CA

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by SilentWalker, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, so I'm finally going to get a laptop for university. I'll be doing the usual multitasking (browsing, word-processing, IM), some graphics-editing, and maybe some high-end gaming. From the beginning I had my mind set on a MacBook Pro, and I was hoping that this would be my opportunity for the big switch from a PC to a Mac. But now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

I have a pretty low budget, so I can only afford, at most, the base model MacBook Pro 13". So that's what I had in mind (well actually I wanted the 15" i5 Core, but it's too expensive). So I think I'll have to settle with the 13".

But I have some doubts. The major one is that I can get way better specs on a PC laptop, namely this HP Pavilion DV6-2154C). It has an i5 Core clocked at 2.53Ghz (which is really good; much faster than the MacBook Pro's) and 1GB of discrete graphics, two factors which really buy me over. Plus it's much cheaper!

Secondly is the fact that I'll have to adapt to a 13" screen is I go with Mac. I'm accustomed to a 23" HD widescreen monitor at home, so switching will have a bit of a learning curve.

On the other side: the Mac's aesthetics are much better, it's much more portable for carrying around campus, has a much longer battery life (I'm lucky to get 5 hours on the HP), using the trackpad is easier and quicker, and the OSX experience is much, much better. I don't want to stick with Windows.

Here are the specifications of the two laptops for quick viewing:

MacBook Pro 13"
    • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
    • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    • 250GB SATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    • SD card slot
    • Built-in battery (10 hours)
    • NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    • 13.3-inch LED-backlit widescreen display with 1280 x 800 native resolution
    • Weighs 2.04 kg
    Costs $1,149.00 plus taxes (after Education discount); or $1,249.00 plus taxes with free 'Office for Mac 2008'.

HP Pavilion DV6-2154CA
    • Intel Core i5 430M 2.53Ghz
    • 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
    • 640GB SATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    • SD, MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro and xD card slots
    • Nvidia GeForce GT 230M with 1GB of dedicated graphics; Up to 2815MB Total Graphics Memory
    • 15.6" screen with 1366 x 768 native resolution
    • Weighs 2.88 kg
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    Costs $999.96.

As you see, you obviously get more for the money with HP (hardware-wise), but I'm not sure if the Mac-OSX experience is worth it. There are pros and cons on each side, which make it a very difficult decision for me. Can you guys make it a easier decision by explaining which might end up being a better choice? Was your switch to a low-end, 13" Mac worth the trade-off (not as 'high-specced 'hardware)? Help!

EDIT: Oh, and also I have a LOT of Mac apps that I got for free from the MacHeist Nano Bundle. Over $80 worth of apps.
  2. MrNuggets

MrNuggets Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    get a mac, +it can run CS:S smoothly.
  3. SuperMario

SuperMario Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The macbook can run windows and mac, so you can use both.
    But if you want faster/smoother gaming, better hardware for a lower price, go for the hp.
  4. iThemesAndMore

iThemesAndMore New Member

I would get the mac and boot camp it with windows
  5. SuperMario

SuperMario Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Go for the mac if you want to experience windows and mac os x at the same time.
  6. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I would get the PC. It does everything you want it to do and more. Its cheaper like you said and its got better specs.

The Mac will be a fashion statement for you at first. You know the drill.

"I've got a Macbook pro, its soo cool, LOOK OSX!"

But then what happens when the next refresh happens and your left with an outdated Mac that will inevitably become cheaper or dropped altogether for a cheaper model?

The Laptop will last you a long time, you might feel like your 'missing OSX action and coolness' but you'l eventually just not care.

The CPU is leaps and bounds better, bigger HHD for your University needs. Both GPU'S are practically the same, apart from the PC has more memory as well as a bigger screen.

Trust me, its better to get the PC. The MAC experience will go away and you wont even be bothered with it anymore. Windows allows you more personalization and is more future proof with its specs.

Trust me, don't be a tool, go with the PC.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yeah, if you buy a MacBook it is likely to be "dropped" in a few years.Whilst Windows PC can update fast and get Hardware upgrades. Also Windows is better for gaming.
  8. nasra1n

nasra1n New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The PC is awesome. Don't be a fanboy. You know you want the PC...
  9. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yeah take the HP. It has far better graphics and a better processor and more hard disk space.
  10. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You are being a fanboy saying that,

I would get the macbook pro but thats me. If there any way your budget will support a i5 version if you could borrow some money? Don't forget the education discount...