Resolution for converting movies

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joepenman, Oct 11, 2010.

1. joepenman

joepenman New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hi guys, first time poster.

I have a few movies that i would like to convert so that i can watch on my ipod touch 4g.

One movie for instance is 720x304 pixels, aspect ratio 2.35:1

I want to keep the original aspect ratio so what would look best on the touch? (not too worried about file size)

960x408 (2.35:1) or 480x204 (2.35:1)?

Just wondering what the rule is to keep original aspect ratio and get best quality out of my movies.

Cheers

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. evilish2236

evilish2236 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The first one. 960x408 for sure lol.
  3. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    The iPod touch 4 supports 720p, so 1280x540 would be ideal if you are looking for pure quality and 2.35:1 aspect...

But, just keep the original video size if it's any smaller, (like your example,) as the iPod touch supports all sizes up to 720p. Up-scaling has no effect on video, as the video is automatically up-scaled by the iPod touch if it's smaller than it's screen size. (640x960. So up-scaling is a complete waste to memory.)

It really doesn't matter if you are wanting to upscale. If you have HD video though, that should be compatible too.

To answer your question directly? Keep it the same size. Up-scaling is a waste and down-scaling makes it lose quality.
  4. ishey94

ishey94 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Where did you get the idea that it sized up to 720p? it doesn't have the 720 pixels to use. it is 640x960 the key part is the 640 if it supported 720p it would be at lease 720x(XXXX). It can however record video at 720p (but I think its only 30 fps).

and @joepenman I would use the 960x408 it will look great.
  5. joepenman

joepenman New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks man.

So you're saying leave the file at 720x304 and the iTouch will automatically upscale it to cover the entire screen while maintaining the original aspect ratio (it will have the black bars top and bottom though, correct?)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I would love to have this answered as it confuses myself as well!
  6. dudiadudia1

dudiadudia1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just as u would not and should not convert a 192kbps mp3 file into a 320 one , u should not upscale to a bigger resolution that isn't really there..the fact that the iPod supports up to 960x640 doest mean it can magically make ur movie of Abetter quality and size...

As long as the original file's resolution isn't bigger than the iPods than u can use it and get a better quality ...if for example u would convert a 1080p movie then there is no sence in converting into 1080p since the iPod doesn't have that screen resolution..

Hope it helps
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

It depends if you have limited memory or want to put more movies on in the future - the higher resolution would be better for quality, but if what I said before is true, you might want to consider the other option for file size and will still look pretty good on the iPod screen.

Remember, if you're converting direct from DVD, that quality is designed to look good on a 40" plasma, and it won't matter too much if you reduce the quality because the iPod touch is so much smaller.