Reset, Restore... Rinse & Repeat

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mkdragoness, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mkdragoness

mkdragoness New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Anyone that can help?? I would love you forever and send you Christmas cards!

I did some searching around the forums and didn't see any threads that were exactly what I was looking for, but if someone knows which direction to point me in, feel free.

Anyway, here's the issue. I have a 2G (8gb) iPod Touch that I got about 2 years ago. It worked great for about the first 6 months and then it started having problems turning on. Like, while it was turned on it was working just fine, but when it got turned off (which it never shut ITSELF off btw) it would just have a hard time turning back on. At first it was just a reset every once in a while. Then it turned into needing to reset EVERY time it was turned on, just to get it TO turn on. Then finally it needed to be restored about every day. Until eventually I just got frustrated with it and instead of breaking the thing (which is what I really wanted to do) I put it on a shelf and forgot about it.

It's been sitting on a shelf for about the past year and finally I decided that I'd really like to get back to using it. Cause it really is a cool device.

The same issues as a year ago: needs to be reset every time it's turned on. But I haven't had to do a system restore on it yet today... which is a minor victory.

I'd really rather not have to take to the Apple store (since I'd probably end up paying for a new one anyway), if there's a way I can fix this one.

Oh, and I've restored it twice on a PC, and twice on a Mac (thinking/hoping that that would make a difference). Also, with the restore it put on the 3.1.2 firmware... whateverthatmeans. It's not jailbroken either, btw.

Anyone out there that can help?
    Thanks!
  2. Tyler314

Tyler314 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i havent a clue, is no one else can help phone apple.
  3. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    did you try a dfu restore?
  4. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    The Home button has dirt in there?

...a similar mechanical problem?

...battery dying, or almost dead?
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i think u damaged the on/off button. did u ever drop it or add to much pressure? the button isside must have gotten moved so it pressed the off button inside whenever it has little contact