reset before upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sjleworthy, Oct 13, 2008.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    just a quickie.....

i'm about to update the firmware on my Touch from JB 1.1.2 to 2.1 (non JB).

I'm on the understanding i must first re-set, via iTunes, my iPod back to factory settings before i download and install the new firmware. Is this correct? this will mean loosing all my music. (re-syncing for me isn't straight forward either). cant i just update/grade over the existing set up so i can keep my music as it is?
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

i think the word is: restore
    and yes, restore then buy the upgrade
  3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    damn. the problem i got is i usually arrange my music on my ipod. as in i'll sync it from my pc, then arrange into whatever compilation album i might choose whilst in the ipod. Also, i've synced music from several computers, so if i have to restore first and loose all my music it's not going to be easy to sync it all back on. i dont always keep music on my pc as well, so there's another problem.

and you're sure i cant just upgrade but i must restore, loosing everything (including music) first?

whats the best way of syncing from my ipod to my pc then? copying my music collection from my ipod to the pc first would be the ideal situation. i could just sync everything back perfectly then.