{REQUEST} Wi-Fi Pinpointer

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ipodminiman, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ipodminiman

ipodminiman New Member

Ok so one day I came up with the idea of a wi-fi pin pointer. What it is is simply an arrow on the screen that shows which way the wi-fi network you are connected to is coming from. I thought this could be useful when you have a low level of wi-fi and want to know which direction you should move to get a better signal. Other then developing it, I see only one problem. Because of the arrow having to refresh so rapidly, it would probably be a battery waster if used for too long. I think it could be a moderately useful and simple app. I don't know if you guys think the same, but the idea just came to me. Please leave comments and reactions.
  2. grizzjr1

grizzjr1 Member

I think that this is a pretty good idea. It could definently be useful to me!

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. gumbi

gumbi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    yea man, i was thinking about this the other day too....
    you'd have to do like a triangulation, or something... like pick three spots in the room, and the then ipod would give you a directional map or something.
  4. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    He's not trying to pinpoint where it is, just which direction. That, in theory, should use just one point.

However, I dont think anyone has ever done this, even for other wifi devices, so think it might not be possible =/

If it is, it shouldn't be something that needs to always be on. Just something you toggle on if the signal is very low, which should solve the battery issue
  5. chrism238

chrism238 New Member

I don't believe that this is possible. The iPhone/Touch does not have a directional WiFi antenna, nor a compass to determine in which direction the device is being pointed. I believe that just using APlogger, scanning every couple of seconds while the device is being rotated, is the best that you can hope for.
  6. Shade

Shade New Member

The only plausible way to do this would be a, well as you all know the wifi is measured in numbers, 10-54 or something, so as it increases the arrow goes forward, decreases arrow goes back.
    1 person likes this.
  7. GTanything

GTanything New Member

i just searched for an app like that for mac or pc but I didn't find anything. So i dont think its possible, but i did find this http://iPhone.jiwire.com kinda useful.
  8. Avatarv

i dont think its possible or necessary

cuz just move around to see where its coming from
  9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    thank you. this is useful for when I'm not in the city.
  10. chrism238

chrism238 New Member

The iPhone's RSSI values range from 0..80. Yes, a bar, histogram, or an arrow could grow and shrink with changing signal strength, but the arrow has nothing to do with the direction of the strongest signal.

Walk north towards an AP, imagining the arrow points somewhere meaningful. Rotate your iPhone 180deg and keep walking north. Where would you expect the arrow to point now, and how?