[Request] Swear Filter

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by studangerous, Mar 16, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Despite verbally having one of the foulest mouths around, I am of the opinion that there is a need for filtering out of the bad language on the forums.

There is really no justification for swearing in these forums and generally it's part and parcel of some flame session. I have never yet seen an occasion when it was justified or of any use in accentuating a point.

As the age range on IPTF seems to be well spread (as evidenced in this recent thread) with a mean in the 11 - 20 years bracket it would appear this is a feature that is well overdue.

Any other thoughts? I can't really see anyone being against this at all and I would expect that at the very least we should have a trial with a filter replacing profane language with fruit names or some such.

Thanks for listening.

[n.b. I've just been surfing around some other threads and noticed that there has been some other touchy discussion on this recently, so apologies in advance if I'm treading on any toes or fanning other flames - it isn't and wasn't my intention]
  2. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I agree with you in principal, but in practice this doesn't work. Here's why:

"f***"
    f|_|ck
    f*ck
    fuk
    f*k
    f**k
    fu*k
    etc.

"b*tch"
    b1tch
    b*tch
    biatch
    b!tch
    bech
    b|tch
    etc.

etc.

This goes on and on. The people that will want to use obscenity will still find a way around the filter. So while I agree with the principle of not allowing obscenity, automated filtering is not the way to solve it.
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ah, good point... difficult to know what to do then unless we report every incidence of swearing, in which case the mods would probably be overwhelmed with reports to deal with... I suppose you could maybe change the report text box to include tick boxes for the different subsections of reportable activity, then maybe farm them into different inboxes... or just let it ride as it is and hope that peer-pressure from other members helps to ease the problem.
  4. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    @bigizzle jagex managed to do it for runescape (that kindof ruined the game though) I think they just checked if certain letters were in certain places and excluded extra letters. I)amn
  5. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No. I don't agree...

Even though swearing for no reason is wrong, this is of forum of teens and adults that swear every day...(maybe)
  6. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It's the internet, not somewhere like your church. If someone can't handle a small amount of profanity at the least, they need to turn off their internet. That's my view.
  7. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Totally agree blake.

And do we get infractions for swearin on here?
  8. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    ya it would be nice to have the swearing cut down but like Bgizzle said people would get around it. i could see that at full discretion of a moderator, excessive swearing or foul language could result in a warning. if we added this in this place will be a more "family friendly" forum. i wouldn't mind for this to take effect, as for the other users who prefer every third word a swear i don't know.
  9. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you go crazy with and and start insulting people, yes.
  10. buckycat

buckycat New Member

What about an optional swear filter, like the post count hiding thingy.