Request: offline GPS for walking (have no clue if its possible)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by felixen, Jun 19, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hey. last night I got high which led me to this thing called thinking.

I was thinking about how a GPS would be ill on the ipod touch but I know it needs wifi. so I got this idea, and I have NO idea if it is possible or not. But its like a combination of the maps app and the app that tracks your steps and chooses a song to fit your walk.

Lets say Im at a friend's new crib and i need to go to the station to catch a train but I dont know where it is. my friend has wifi, so I open the app, which is designed pretty much like the original map app. I type in the "From" and "To" and the app creates the destination. Now the app needs to have a "save directions" feature, so I hit that and the piece of map that my directions stretches over are saved in the app so it can be used offline. Now I go outside my friends crib and hit "go" or whatever on the app and as I start walking the app has to count my steps like the other music app does.

this is where im not sure if this app would be possible, cause I dont know if app/map could know how much piece of road one step takes up. If this is possible though, the pointer on the map could jump forward one step at the time while following the directions of the offline map you just saved.

also, if this stuff is possible and all, people will walk with the ipod in front of them so they can check the screen and direction and all that.. I dunno if that would be a problem as it might make it more difficult for the step counter to recognize a step if the ipod aint in your pocket. So I was thinking that maybe you hit "start" or whatever when you being your trip and the ipod could tell you to put the ipod in your pocket for a minute or just a few seconds or whatever and start walking.

So you start walking for a short period of time while the ipod counts your steps while a timer is going. This way it could probably create your average speed and kinda simulate the trip (your steps and your speed) as you walk with your ipod in your hands.

I have no clue if this can be done or not, but it would be dope
  2. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Firstly GPS doesn't need wifi, it needs a GPS reciever. You're probably thinking of the Skyhook feature of Maps.app which does need wifi, but that is not GPS.
    Secondly, forgetting all the issues of different stride length/walking speed etc (which could be calibrated) your idea wouldn't work because it would have no idea which way you were walking.
    Therefore you could walk in a circle for 5 mins and apparently you've reached your destination.
    At the end of the day it's still upto the user to follow the directions from the map, which you can already do with maps.app
  3. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know gps doesnt use wifi, what I meant was using the maps app wouldnt be possible because they only work when theres wifi. By GPS I didnt mean a real gps, I just meant what its for

as for the walking around in circles, that would be kinda dumb when you have a destination. If the step counter could work with this map app thing, you would of course have to follow the direction it tells you, and if you do so, and if the app counts the steps correctly, I dont see why it wouldnt add up
  4. nadnerb33

nadnerb33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you're just following a map then the app is pointless and doesn't actually do anything except guess your position. Surely you can do that youself by matching the street names you can see to the streets on the map.
    I'm just saying the app wouldn't know where you are so you could walk on the spot and it would think you are on the way to the destination.
    Also what if you set off the wrong way down a road, the app would be useless then and you'd have to rely on the map to find your way.

So basically, just download the area you want in maps.app before you leave and just follow that.
    Or sellotape a compass to your Touch and then your idea would kinda work (providing you know how to read a compass correctly!)
  5. snpri3

snpri3 New Member

or you could just read the street names.
  6. meloyo

meloyo Member

or u can get high and go on a mistical journey
  7. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I like the last idea. But I guess its true that if you made a wrong turn it still wouldnt know