[Request] How to configure Outlook Web Access on mail.app?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by Mekhami, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Mekhami

Mekhami New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I sign onto my email account through a website, and it uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access. I want to sync this to mail.app so I don't have to go through Safari. (It's kinda buggy on Safari.) What information do I need, if this is possible? If anyone could walk me through this, I'd be appreciative. I have a gmail account currently setup so I understand the very basics.
  2. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

You have to be sure that your Outlook is setup for IMAP. ALso, my business uses Outlook for our email, and it does not play well with Mail (on the touch/iphone or the mac) I created a gmail account that I forward my Outlook to and have that go to mail on my touch and mac.
  3. Mekhami

Mekhami New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm guessing that IMAp setup is something the tech's in my company have to deal with, not myself?

What rule did you use for mail forwarding on outlook?
  4. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

If you look around in the prefs of your outlook you should find your IMAP settings. When you add an account through mail, there's an option for IMAP accounts. My IT department actually set up the gmail for me, I can ask them tomorrow if you want. If you do, PM me your email and I'll send you their response.
    1 person likes this.
  5. bmvee

bmvee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Outlook Web Access is a web interface to your email stored on your organizations Microsoft Exchange Server. Based on what I'm reading about the mail.app, you'll have to ask your IT department to make your organizations MS Exchange server available through IMAP. This is not a big deal for them (I administrate several), but you'll have to justify to them why they will have to open IMAP on the company firewall. They may not go for it as it's another hole in the router to watch! I personally don't allow IMAP or POP3 access to my exchange servers as IMAP authentication is no more secure than POP3 - it simply involves the passing of userid and password across the network as clear text and I don't know if mail.app supports IMAP/SSL.... I prefer SSL/IPSEC/PPTP connections only.

as another member posted, it will likely be easier for you to create a forwarding rule in OWA or Outlook when you're at the office that will send your email to your google account.

hope this helps.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Mekhami

Mekhami New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks for your help, both of you. +rep all around.