Request: GIMP Tutorial

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by David., Apr 19, 2009.

1. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I know many of you use Photoshop, but what about the people who don't? Kinda left out on the tutorials and such. So can anyone make some tutorials using GIMP, such as: How to make Icons, How to make a signature, How to make an avatar. All of these and more would be great, thanks for posting.
  2. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah... I guess I can try. I'm not doing a video though, ok?
  3. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sounds good, I just want to be able to make some things, pictures aren't necessary, would be nice, but just explain what you do. Like I know how to create a certain size document, and I know a little bit with paths, but I can't do anything with it.
  4. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, it seems like there is no need for a full tutorial. Look here for help with paths. And when you start up gimp, press ctrl+N and there are dimensions. Use the same number for avatars and icons, but use 4x the width than height in signatures.
  5. SeanML100

SeanML100 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I recomend paint.net because the plugins and you can use the same brushes as PS
  6. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Same thing in GiMP. But with GiMP, you have many more effects at your disposal.
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

most photoshop tutorials can be applied to GIMP. you need to know where some tools are (if a PS tutorial says use the liquify filter and has a picture of the menu, you'll have to know how to get to the filters in GIMP by yourself, etc) but its the same ideas.

there are a lot of gimp tutorials out there. just search (i've seen a lot on instructables)