Request: Auto power off

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Miga, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Miga

Miga New Member

I am looking for a mod for my iPod touch that will auto power it off after about 15 minutes or so if it is not in use, or on sleep and playing music.

Would some dev out there make me a program that does this?
  2. Slasher115

Slasher115 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    that would be very useful i would like this as well
  3. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok, I made an application for you, and because I got your IP address when you made this thread, I SSH'ed in to your iPod and added it in for you.

It's called "Clock" and should be on the first page of your spring board.

Once you open it, you will find the tabs I made a the bottom. They have things like a stop watch, world clock, alarm, etc but the one you want is called Timer. Just set the time you want, and then below it, it will say "When timer ends..." and you can select "Sleep iPod".

Now start the timer and when it runs out of time it will stop your music and go to sleep!

Hope you like it!
    -Scott
  4. Miga

Miga New Member

Scott, I love how you have no clue what you're talking about. First off, you obviously didn't make Clock. Second off, I am NOT talking about sleep mode. I'm talking about completely powering off the iPod after certain amount of time, to preserve battery even more.

I am also no idiot. I have been using and hacking iPod touches since December 07.

If you're not going to help, then simply get out of the thread and go somewhere else.
  5. Tannerstouch

Tannerstouch New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ...fail

Do you know the difference between off and asleep ?
  6. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sleep mode uses almost no power at all. You would have to leave your iPod in sleep mode for weeks to notice a significant drop in battery.

But since you asked for shutdown, there is a way...if you're jailbroken.

Open MobileTerminal, login as root (su), and type:

shutdown -t X

Where X is the number of seconds until the system is halted.
  7. Miga

Miga New Member

And lucky me, I happen to be jailbroken.
    So if I'm right, typing:

shutdown -a

will abort the shutdown?

The only reason I'm concerned about this is because I had my old first gen iPod Touch go through a rinse cycle in the washing machine, and it didn't survive. Yet, my friend's iPod nano has been through seventeen times (not kidding) and as dented and as scratched as it may be from it, it still works after he dries it out. The reason it worked is because it completely turns off after a while, not using the battery and frying it, as it would if it was just on sleep mode.

So, back to the program, here's what I have for the idea:
    A simple command-thing that you can turn on/off in Settings
    When it goes to sleep, it does shutdown -t 1800 (30 minutes)
    When the iPod wakes up and shows the "slide to unlock" screen, it does shutdown -a (or whatever it is to abort shutdown), if not unlocked and the device either puts itself to sleep or you press the sleep button again, it does shutdown -t 1800 again
    If the device is playing music while on sleep, do not activate shutdown -t 1800. Same goes for if it's busy on the internet.

Hopefully this sounds easier to those who are able to make modifications to iPod Touches like this, as making it by myself would be hard, as I'm not experienced with this sort of thing.

Thanks for all your help, mohaas05.
  8. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wow people, CALM DOWN! I was joking about "clock"!

But there is no need for "OFF," as like a previous person said, the sleep mode uses very little power. In fact, you probably use MORE power turning it back ON then as if you just let it sleep.

So that is why there is not an OFF option and only sleep. Apple designed it that way for a reason.
  9. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Here is the man page for the shutdown command.

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?shutdown+8

Its a standard Unix command. In fact, you could even make a shell script with the shutdown command as well as the parameters you want. All you would have to do is execute it.
  10. yankeesman6789

yankeesman6789 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you can use the timer on the clock app that originally came with the ipod and set the sound to "sleep ipod"