Reputation Add-on

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Joe Rossignol, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I made a search and nothing came up, so sorry if this has been asked before.

How about a reputation add-on? Where users have the ability to give someone +1 Reputation for a valid and helpful post. This gives a little recognition to the people who answer all the questions around here and make helpful posts. You could also have the ability for users to give more than +1 rep depending on their own reputation. So lets say I had 100 reputation, then maybe I could give a user +2 reputation. There's also the option, yet not necessary, for minus reputation (-rep.) Users must have a very high reputation of their own to give someone -1 reputation, and can never give further than -1 reputation. So, if I had 100 reputation and someone -repped me, I'd have 99 reputation. This could be because of a stupid or unnecessary post, or lack of respect etc. Only trusted and well known users with lots of reputation could give this -rep which would help new users from trying to ruin someone elses reputation because they "feel like it."

Anyways, just a suggestion, many forums have this and I think it would be a great feature here on Itf
    3 people like this.
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I can actually see this as a big help for the site. Maybe people would care more about their reputation then their post count...
  3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

This would really help for mod nominations, and just for credibility, although people could team up on others and what not, so...

Good idea!

^^Agreed with Danls92 too.
    1 person likes this.
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I like this idea, would be easy to implement, but it could be abused...I can just imagine when a flame war starts brewing...lol

But a solution would be to not let the same person give minus rep to the same person more than once in the same thread or something idk.

I like the rep thing on the ebuyer forums, it's nice when people give you rep because you're helpful

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I completely agree.
    1 person likes this.
  6. x6blues

x6blues New Member

hopefully bgizzle will see this and decide to try it out, very good idea either way
    1 person likes this.
  7. Corsairkid

Corsairkid New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    On VBulletin forums, you can set options to restrict how often people can rep another user. So lets say you rep user #1, you will not be able to rep him again untill you rep 5 different users. Also, you can set limits to how many reps you can give out in one day. This controls the feature being abused.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Flagpole

Flagpole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    its not an add on, its just turned off. vbulletin comes with a reputation system and it woks quite efectively. its pretty customizable and you can do what you want with it so that it doesnt get out of hand too fast.

bgizzle brobably has it turned off on purpose though. its all up to him.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    In case you guys haven't noticed, there is now a little scale icon under your avatar and name that allows you to add to reputation.

Thanks bgizzle!
    4 people like this.
  10. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

^^ Awesome.
    Just added to your reputation.
    1 person likes this.