Report: AT&T ready with no-contract iPhone offer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by veeloc, Mar 20, 2009.

1. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well while i was in computers class at school, my teacher was looking up cnet, and well at the word "iphone" i had to glance over and well this story was kinda interesting...

By Tom Krazit

(CNET) -- AT&T may be getting ready to offer the iPhone 3G at a very expensive yet no-commitment price.
    AT&T may be getting ready to offer the iPhone 3G without requiring a two-year service agreement.

AT&T may be getting ready to offer the iPhone 3G without requiring a two-year service agreement.

BoyGeniusReport.com has a report out Wednesday that AT&T plans to offer iPhone 3Gs at $599 or $699 without requiring the customer to sign a new two-year agreement, starting next week.

When the iPhone 3G launched last year, AT&T said it would offer such an option, but never pulled the trigger.

An AT&T representative declined to comment on the report.

The move would seem designed to rid AT&T of iPhone inventory ahead of the launch of a new product later this summer, as most of us are expecting.
    Don't Miss

* Latest CNET News videos
    * CNET News image galleries
    * More technology news from CNET

Apple didn't allude to any new hardware during its iPhone 3.0 event on Tuesday, but there have been a few signs, and the company has noted that iPhone releases seem to be falling into a yearly schedule around June or July.

iPhones sales soared after Apple and AT&T cut the starting price to $199 last year, but there are definitely some people who would like an iPhone free from AT&T and a two-year commitment to paying a monthly wireless bill, even if it costs them more up front.

Would you buy a $599 8GB iPhone if it meant you didn't have to sign a two-year contract?

Here's the story
  2. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

interesting.
    nice find.
    however, i would never pay 599 for an iphone. simply not worth it
  3. jessikur

jessikur Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hell and no. That's so laughable. But good for some, I suppose.
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Too Expensive, and have to be existing AT&T. Not a good deal.
  5. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You might as well buy an iPhone off eBay, jailbreak it, then unlock it.
  6. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I just heard about this, this morning. I though it was super retarded. It's like that going to make you pay for unlocking it.....
  7. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I know, anyone on this forum will agree (probably) it's a terrible deal. I think this is geared towards adult noobs who don't know how to and probably can't jailbreak or unlock an iphone... Another example of knowledge saving you money!