iPhone 3G Replacing iphone 3g glass+digitizer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twitchy204, Sep 23, 2009.

1. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    So recently, my friend had an iphone, cracked the screen, and got a new phone. he didn't wanna mess with it anymore, so i told him i'd buy it for $50. so now i have a 16gb iphone with a cracked screen. so, i'm planning on fixing it my self. i've found an ebay listing for the glass+digitizer, adhesive strips, and case opener tool and i'm planning on buying that soon. i'm considering replacing the battery as well, but want an opinion on how easy that is(i'm pretty sure that would void my warranty). so, i might edit this with more questions, but for now... what are the supplies that i need for opening the iphone and replacing the glass+digitizer? i know i need the glass+digitizer, adhesive strips, some small screwdrivers, some paper clips and something to get the thing opened. stuff.... am i forgetting anything?

oh yeah, whats the best way to get an iphone opened? like, i've seen people using these "case opener tools", and i've seen suction cups, and i've seen a few other things... so which would be the method/tool that would have the least risk of messing something up?

wow, what a mess of a post.
  2. jmanprousk

jmanprousk New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, the 1st question is, is it a 1st gen? Because on the 1st gen, all the peices (Glass, Digitizer) are glued together. But not on the 3g or 3g S
  3. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    16gb 3g iPhone.
  4. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    GO to ifixit.com and you should know EVERYTHING! lol
  5. brovius

brovius Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    This site might help you out: http://3gcrackedglass.com/
    On the homepage, scroll down, and you'll see a video. (Adobe Flash Player or compatible needed)
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Like everyone else has mentioned there are plenty of video tutorials online.

The 3G is easy to open and you don't need any special tools aside from the small screwdriver to get at the screws. A suction cup is helpful but I have used a piece of duct tape to do the same thing.

As far as the glass itself I have not gotten that far so I am not really sure. I have had batteries out and if you think it needs to be replaced go ahead and do it. If the old battery is still keeping a charge I'd leave it (easy enough to replace in the future). If you are going to replace it just follow the guides; the battery itself is glued in place so it takes a little bit to get the battery out of the case but its pretty easy.

Be sure all of the cables get plugged back in properly and test it out before buttoning everything back together.
  7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
  8. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    thanks for all of the advice. i'll look through everything and edit this if i ahve any more questions.

edit: oh yeah, a question about the suction cup thing... a good bit of "crackage" of the glass is near the bottom, so how effective is a suction cup gonna be? i guess there's only one way to figure out, but has anyone removed a broken screen with a suction cup? duct tape seems like it might be better for this situation...
  9. Hghflyrjd1

Hghflyrjd1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the glass is so easy to do just youtube replace Iphone 3g front glass repair i can do a 3g in 20 30 mins easy and that was the first time just once u have it all apart use a hairdryer to heat the top and bottom area where the glue is it make is 100% easier heat it real good but not enough to damage the frame even though u can heta and re shape alil
  10. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    alright, that makes me more confident. i ordered all of the stuff today. hopefully it'll be in early next week.