Replacing iPhone 2G Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryan, May 24, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Hello, recently I brough my friends iPhone 2G from him (for £15) as he got his new 3G from renewing his contract. The only problems with the phone are

a) The back silver housing is scratched.
    b) The black casing at the bottom is chipped so you can see the metal of the inside
    c) There is a problem with the headphone jack where the iphone always thinks headphones are plugged in and therefore to call i have to always have it on loudspeaker.

Therefore I have ordered a "Black Metal Back Cover Housing Fascia For Apple IPhone" and a "new iPhone OEM Headphone Audio Jack Flex Cable + Switch" from ebay and will be replacing them later on in the week.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I know how to do it, and think it shouldnt be THAT hard to do. But was just wondering if anyone has done this before and has any tips because experience is better than any guide out there.

Thanks

2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I have not completely replaced the headphone flex cable but it should be fairly easy.

Since you are replacing the entire back piece you won't have to worry too much about pulling the back pieces off (it can be difficult).

My only advice would be to test everything before putting the back piece back together. You can connect the cable to the iPhone and power it up. Make sure the earphone jack and all the buttons are working before you piece it all back together.

Also, you will need a decent, small, phillips screw driver. I am not sure exactly the size and you might get one with the housing but figured you might pick one up while you're waiting for the parts to get to you.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4

Thanks, yeah ive heard i should use adhesive remover but not sure if i should just pry it off manualy. and yeah, its a size 000 phillips screwdriver aparently

4. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

visit www.ifixit.com and check their guides and stuff. its really helpful for things like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
  6. cautious911

cautious911 New Member

That's a sick tip im having Head phone Jack problems too seems to be like high frequency
    like wierd