replacement USB port for iPod touch 1g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by inhalexhale, May 26, 2009.

1. inhalexhale

inhalexhale New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    So i figured out my problem...broken USB port. if i push forward on the USB connection it'll charge, but the second i let go it gets disconnected

Please Register or Log in to view images

does anyone know where I can buy a replacement USB port for my iPod? (NOT the actual USB cord --- the part you plug the cord into

)

i've searched everywhere and can't find anything.

also, has anyone ever tried to do this repair themselves? how difficult was it? am i better off trying to sell it for parts on ebay and using the money to save up for a new touch?
  2. zao8350

zao8350 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i think your best bet would be selling it and getting a new one, or rig something up (maybe tape) to keep the plug secure. maybe a dock would work, since the ipod sits on it so it applies pressure with its own weight. try that
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    im not sure u can just buy the USB port sadly, i would suggest taking it to apple, or selling it and buying a new one.
  4. dudeitsriley

dudeitsriley Banned

Yea you're not going to find just a USB port probably... I would just rig something up with tape like zao8350 said.
  5. inhalexhale

inhalexhale New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    okay guys, thanks for the suggestions. i found out today it will charge with a dock, but i would still need to sync it every once in awhile, and i'm worried that will eventually break the metallic strips on the port further...in which case i'd probably be lowering the value of the ipod even further.

fortunately "as is" ipod touches that need repairs usually go for a pretty decent penny on ebay, and the ipod touch 1st gens are still only $199 at apple (definitely not ready to drop $300 on the 2G

)

thanks for your help!
  6. cptblammo

cptblammo New Member

Its pocket lint

It is pocket lint that has built up in the little holes for the connectors. Just get a safety pin and clean out the holes, be careful not to scratch the connectors.

I had this problem to. My audio jack and dock connector were not seating all the way, but they are fine now.
  7. InchWorm

InchWorm Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i think it wouldn't be efficient to try to replace the usb port on your ipod touch MC model 3rd generation that you bought in April.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    i plug the usb cord into my computer, why would you have to replace the one in teh computer if it's your ipod that is messed up?
  8. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Buy one from eBay...
  9. Atomicular87

Atomicular87 New Member

Found it

hi,

i am new to this site so hello to everyone

secondly i found a company in america which is selling this part and many other parts for iphone ipod ipad,

i have ordered the computer port it would take around 20 days to arrive,

if it goes good i will post back on this article

let us know if you have sold the ipod

thanks
  10. Heidegger

Heidegger New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Anyone know of a source for replacement data/charging ports for the 1G Touch? Plenty around for the iPhone 1G and 2/3/4G Touch models but nothing for the 1G.