Replace iPod touch OS with iPhone's?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by WiLLGT09, Sep 17, 2007.

1. WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'll go ahead and say that I'm new to the iPhone/iPod touch hacking scene, seeing as my iPod touch is currently in the "pre-order" waiting hoopla.

Anyway, I've kept an eye out for the news regarding some of the updates about hacking the Touch. I've noticed that there have been some trouble going about using the same methods of hacking the iPhone with the iPod touch. What I was wondering was whether the iPod touch hardware is similar enough to allow someone to wipe the iPod touch completely and install the iPhone version of the OS to allow for easy hacking using the same iPhone methods. Of course the phone feature, SMS, perhaps Mail apps wouldn't work, but with the same SpringBoard hacks, one could easily remove (delete??) these apps from the iPod perhaps.

Now, this is all hypothetical of course and I don't possess the skill nor the necessary Hardware to try this out, but would this be feasibly possible? Has anyone tried this?

Just curious,
    Cheers,
    William
  2. uberphotos

uberphotos New Member

How would you do this since jailbreak is not working yet? If you try a restore via itunes it will restore using an itouch image.
    Is there another way to do it...if so let me know and I will try it (I've got a itouch already).
  3. WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09 New Member

aha, I didn't think about Jailbreak. Although you can wipe the iPod OS by putting it the iPod in Disk Mode and reformatting it with Disk Utility...however, with this being a flash-based device, and I have never used a flash iPod to any great extent, so I don't know if it acts the same as a disk drive like the HDD iPods do. And then there is no way installing the iPhone OS via a restore unless there's a way to fake iTunes into thinking that the device is an iPhone, which i have no idea ho to do.
  4. Lousansano

Lousansano New Member

The iPoT dosent go into disk mode so sadly you cant reformat it
  5. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    that is still basically impossible as of now, but hopefully with all these great hackers here (me included)[lol]{just waiting for mine}, it will be done.

Cheers,
    Ben.
  6. Aciidc0der

Aciidc0der Retired Moderator

but if we are able to get in then theres no use in getting iPhones OS in the iPod touch, we would be able to install apps already
  7. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    we dont need the iPhone OS X on it just that iTunes should think its one and then it'll sync all those things you want.

Cheers,
    Ben.
  8. WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09 New Member

touché sir.
  9. Aciidc0der

Aciidc0der Retired Moderator

but if iTunes thinks its an iPhone then we still couldnt to the jailbreak...or could we?
  10. Beemer

Beemer New Member

Kind of a good idea - but then you would have useless text voicemail and call settings and menu's.