Replace iPod Touch due to dust?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mogsmar5, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mogsmar5

mogsmar5 New Member

A few questions. Firstly, an amount of dust seems to have collected under the screen of my iPod. This is getting rather annoying, so I'm going to try and get it replaced. Is this possible?
    I'm going to try and do it tomorrow in the nearest Apple Store to me. I'm British and Apple over-the-phone assistance is annoyingly not available in Britian, so I can't phone them to check whether Apple will do this. From what people seem to be saying though, they will. Can I confirm this?

Secondly, and assuming they will replace it, I need to know what to take to the store. As well as my iPod, I assume I'll need my serial number, and possibly the paperwork. Is this right, and is there anything else I need?

And thirdly, I want to know what preparations I should make on my iPod. Obviously I'll reset it for privacy, but the problem is the firmware it's running - 3.0 - was the leaked version. (Can I write this? Please don't flame me if not, just edit this bit out if you're an admin...). Should I restore the original firmware, or is it safe to keep it? iTunes doesn't know the difference - it reckons I'm using the most up to date version.

Can someone help with my three questions? Thanks.

- mogsmar5
  2. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    #1) They should replace it I assume, as mine doesnt have dust under the screen, so I would assume its an error on their end in manufacturing or something.

#2) All they need is your serial number, which is engraved on the back of your iPod so I would just bring the iPod.

#3) I would restore it to the latest version. Dont bring it in with the cracked 3.0, unless its a GM copy. I've heard those are identical to the release, but not 100% sure.

Hope that helps you out somewhat.
  3. mogsmar5

mogsmar5 New Member

Yes, thanks! I read somewhere that the two copies have the same checksum, but I'll restore it just in case.