Replace iPod touch 3G with retina display?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ayeitschris, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ayeitschris

ayeitschris Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Let's say they were selling retina display screens for the iPod touch. Is it possible to replace the screen from the iPod touch 3G with a retina screen? Or is it Not possible because the hardware doesn't support it?
  2. iSn0w

iSn0w Banned

Interesting... I would like to know aswell
  3. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Doubt it, it would probably just display as 480x320 since there arent any display configs.
  4. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Not sure why you would. For the cost of the display alone it may cost the same as the new iPod.

Plus you have to really know what your doing if you ever replace anything on the ipad internally.
  5. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    No, it would not work as the software wouldn't know that it had a better screen so it would still display the Low-res.
  6. sciencetor2

sciencetor2 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    possibility

well sometimes certain jailbreak programs replace drivers in one idevice's software with another, such as enabling native multitasking in second gen devices, so wouldnt it be possible to add drivers and settings for a retina display simply by taking them from the firmware of another device, say an ipod touch 4g, and creating a custom firmware to support it?
  7. jotokun

jotokun Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Enabling multitasking on iOS is not changing or adding drivers. Drivers are software that tells an operating system how to talk to certian hardware. Multitasking is just a feature of the OS and has nothing to do with hardware.

I doubt you would get it to work alone, let alone at non-retina resolution. Typically devices like ipods are not built to be user servicable, so manufactures dont worry about making parts interchangable between models. Chances are, the connectors are different either physically or electrically. Lets say that thats possible, though. Drivers would still be an issue because the ipod 4th gen driver most likely will not work because of the differences in the motherboard.

tl;dr: simply not possible and your definition of a driver is wrong
  8. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

I dont think they are the same dimensions..........
  9. nitsua93

nitsua93 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It wouldnt work because the ribbon cables, connectors, and chassis are not the same. and because the iOS for 3rd gens is not designed to load the @2X sized images
  10. sciencetor2

sciencetor2 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    that is true and as the 4g is the one itouch i havent opened to fix at some point(kind of ironic seeing as its the one i have) i didnt know about the different connectors, also the motherboard differences would probably be a problem, also i do know they are different dimensions and even if they could work it would look like a frankenstein's monster of a device. i was simply saying it may be possible, but it now looks like its not