replace iPod for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blackhaze, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Blackhaze

Blackhaze Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I currently have an iPod Touch 2G. I was wondering if I bought a iPhone 3G on eBay and it didnt have a sim card in it that at&t couldnt charge me per month and stuff. Obviously I wouldnt be able to call or send messages.... I would like to do this because of all the features that an iPhone has that an iPod Touch doesnt like a camera and a microphone.... I would like to know if this would work and if it does, what would be bad about doing this. I understand that I am most likely wrong about this idea.......

Thanks.
  2. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Thats what I'm thinking of doing !!
  3. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Well, yeah, It would work. You would need to find an AT&T sim card to activate it at first. But then yeah, it'll just be an iPhod (Not quite a phone, not quite an iPod

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

But, if you go to the trouble of buying an iPhone, why wouldn't you unlock it (if you need to) and use it as your phone?
  4. Blackhaze

Blackhaze Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    So it does have to have a SIM card in it???? But then wouldnt AT&T charge me money? And since i dont have an iphone im not sure what unlocking it is.... Is that when you jailbreak an iPhone??? Or is it something else?? And I wouldnt be able to make it Verizon would I???
  5. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    are you actually willing to pay that much JUST for a microphone and a camera? you can unlock the iphone 3G with yellowsn0w, but you might have to downgrade to 2.2. You may aswell use it as your phone!
  6. Blackhaze

Blackhaze Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i dont have AT&T and i have Verizon.
  7. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    You need to have a SIM card in it JUST to activate it, then you can remove it and use it as an iPod if you wish. The iPhone is not 'connected' to AT&T. Once you put the AT&T sim card in then AT&T will charge you. But you have Verizon anyway, so that won't matter.

Anyway, by unlocking I mean allowing the iPhone to have any SIM card in it, being it, AT&T, T-Mobile or, in your case, Verizon.

If you buy an iPhone then you can unlock it with Yellowsn0w. Then you can insert your Verizon sim card and use it as a normal phone. AT&T will have nothing to do with it. Verizon will continue to charge you the normal rate and no changes will be made to your contract.

Hit me up with anymore questions. I'm happy to answer them.
  8. kyle hultgren

kyle hultgren Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    verizon doesnt use sim cards
  9. dodgy

dodgy Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I see. I live in the UK. Didn't know that. lol.

Well, to use the iPhone that you buy you will need to activate it with a AT&T sim card (it can be anyones, doesn't matter. It will not charge them, it will not charge you). It's simply needed to activate the iPhone.

Once you've done that, just take the sim card out, give it back to who ever it belongs to. And enjoy your phone.
  10. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ok let me explain simple:

if you have a phone that uses a SIM card:
    When you get an iphone, follow the steps to unlocking it, and simply insert the SIM and use it as your phone. AT&T CANNOT charge you for simply using an iphone. Even if you have AT&T service just on a regular phone, ATT WILL NOT AND CANNOT charge you extra just for using iphone.

if you want an iphone WITHOUT phone (no sim):
    This is extremely simple, once the phone is jailbroken, even if there is no sim, it will allow you to use the phone like normal.