Repairing partitions after dual boot? (experienced people)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mortel, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well, as some of you know if you read my other topic a few days ago, I have recently followed the guide to dual booting your iPod Touch. Now, I am not experienced at all with the DOS commands, or whatever they are called, I just followed the instructions. But from what I understand, I created another partition, called disk0s3. The first one was called disk0s1 I believe.

Anyways, using a Jiggy script to easily switch between the partitions, I accidentally booted into one called disk0s2. When I did this, my iPod went into an everlasting loop of restore mode, meaning that once I restored it, it went right back into restore mode again. It involved a lot of restoring, and fixing the NVRAM via. ZiPhone to make my iPod boot again. Now, here is the problem.

I suspect something is still wrong with my iPod, since ever since that happened, I always have trouble turning my iPod on. I have had to restore my iPod about 5 times since then, because it gets stuck at the Apple logo about 70% of the time that I turn it on, maybe more. in fact, I just turned it on again, and it is stuck at the Apple logo yet AGAIN.

I'm getting pretty tired of this, and worried that it is unfixable. So, if anyone is experienced at this kind of stuff, can you tell me if it is possible to reset my iPod to the way it was before I ever did the Dual Boot? Or maybe even dual booting it again would help somehow, but booting it into disk0s1 with the Jiggy thing? Since the last thing I did before this all happened was accidentally boot into disk0s2.
  2. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Try restoring in DFU mode or try downgrading from DFU mode, maybe that will help
  3. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No, this is a problem that can't be fixed by restoring.

Believe me, I have restored a lot in the past few days.
  4. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I got an idea, jailbreak your ipot with ziphone and install the jiggy switch, now try to run disk0s1 and then restore because your ipod is trying to boot into something not existing like when you run (i forgot the command) in mac osx it deletes anything and you have to reflask the disk if This doesn't help or any other people call apple, say you bought a case (theres one that has a magnet in it that screws up the ipod, i forgot which one just google it) and say i have been having problems ever since, let them reflask it and send it back, good as new
  5. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hmm... Good idea about installing the Jiggy switch, let me try that right now, after I restore, since I'm stuck at the Apple logo again.
    Hopefully it won't brick me or something. And no one try and say that it's impossible to brick your iPod, because it is while messing with this stuff. D:

I'll let you know how it goes in another reply, but I still need help from anyone experienced and knows how to repair the partition stuff.

Edit: For fun, I'm going to record this in case something happens. xD
  6. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  7. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Actually it is impossible because a fix for EVERYTHING, we cant do it but it is to reflask, just reinstall all of the files, we couldn't do that because half way through it would delete a file that will end ssh, supposedly the .ispw is located somewhere else in the ipod
  8. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you are talking about a fix for the partitions, are you absolutely sure there is not a possible fix for that? I'm talking about typing commands in Putty and stuff, the same way that I actually made the separate partitions.
  9. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I dont think it would work because the system is trying to boot into the partion that has nothing, i was saying its impossible to brick an ipod cause all you have to do is reflask it, (which is what restoring does except when you cant restore thats the fix) but the commands you can do is run the command that makes you boot into Disk0s1

Give me a sec and ill find the code
  10. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Code:
    nvram boot-partition=0
    nvram boot-args=""
    nvram auto-boot=true
    sync
    reboot