Repairing an audio jack?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ex-Touch, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

My audio jack on my iPod touch 1G is damaged. My left earphone cuts out when I move the connector to the right. Can anybody walk me through opening up my iPod and fixing the jack? I'm out of warranty and I don't know how much it would cost to fix it.
  2. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Are you sure it isnt your headphones?
  3. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yeah, it's most likely the headphones.
    Then again, you're probably not stupid. If you know that it's not the headphones, then let us know.
  4. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

It's definitely not the headphones. I've tried my headphones in other people's iPod's/music players and they work fine, and I've used my friend's brand new Skullcandies and they worked perfectly in his iPod, but cut out in mine.
  5. Slimmike

Slimmike New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have the same problem. I've tried everything i just can't get my left side to work and of cause the warranty has run of.
    Any ideas on how to go about fixing this. Please i getting desperate here.
  6. Theo66

Theo66 New Member

The iPod Touch audio jack replacement is very hard to come by, even impossible. But do a Google search on rePod in the Netherlands.

Kind regards,

Theo
  7. arjnoro

arjnoro New Member

make sure you don't have any lint inside the jack, try cleaning it with a toothpick very carefully. good luck
  8. Gman4354

Gman4354 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, don't go sticking toothpicks in the headphone jack... buy one of those compressed cans of air and blow any lint out!

And if that doesn't work then your best bet is to get it fixed by apple and pay for the repair.
  9. Theo66

Theo66 New Member

Believe me, this is not solvable by probing in the audio jack. This is a damaged circuit board problem and needs proper repair by someone who knows how to do it.

Check rePod in the Netherlands, we'll fix this for you.

Theo
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Apple does this just to make you repair your ipod for money, or get a new one. It happens in all iPod versions. I have this problem sometimes, every about 6 months.

1. Pause your music
    2. Keep the headphones in, and restart your iPod
    3. If that doesn't work, keep them in and shut off for an hour or two, or overnight.
    4. Check for a new firmware in iTunes.
    5. If that doesn't work, run battery until dead, then plug in and dont use for a while.
    6. If none of those don't work, repeat steps 1-5 without headphones in.
    7. If none of those work at all, be patient, it should work eventually again, for some reason...

There should be no reason to replace or repair it, the effect should pass. Like I said, I get this every 6ish months, I wait a few days, and it works perfectly.

Remember, Apple wants your money.