Repairing a washed iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pro2010, Oct 17, 2008.

1. pro2010

pro2010 New Member

I got past the wet part of the issue, now I'm to the software part of the issue.

So in brief. I washed my iPod, let it dry and now I see a USB cable and an up arrow pointing to itunes on my iPod. Great, power still works.

It's in recovery mode and can't seem to get out. For several minutes it had the spinning circle and on iTunes "waiting for iPod".

It was jailbroken...

From the top. I plug my iPod in. Itunes states "itunes has found an ipod in recovery mode, you must restore...." ok.

when i go to restore i get the are you sure you want to restore, lose all files..etc.

extracting.. preparing ipod for restore

After once getting the 'waiting for ipod' i now get the iPod cound not be restored. An unkown error occurred (9).

help?
  2. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Since you're iPod was washed, I think the chances of it still working are pretty low, the touch screen will most likely become unresponsive once restored. However, you can try putting you're iPod into DFU mode then restoring.

Guide: (i didn't make this guide)

[HOW TO] Put iPhone/iPod Touch In DFU mode
    1. Make sure your iPhone/iPod Touch is turned on and connected to iTunes
    2. Hold the power and home button down at the same time till it turns off
    3. As soon (like once you see) the iPhone/iPod Touch disappears (disconnects) from iTunes, let go of the power button but continue to hold the Home button
    4. Wait till iTunes says "Your iPod is in recovery mode and has to be restored", if you look at your iPhone/iPod Touch the screen will be black...This is normal and your iPhone/iPod Touch is in DFU mode

Good Luck
  3. pro2010

pro2010 New Member

Do you think I could start from the beginning? I want to find out whether or not my ipod is in working order, just apparently right now theres software issues. When I restart the pineapple appears, yes.. jailbroken.

Though if i restore it, it will becme an apple. If i can find the 1.1 firware would I be able to go from there being that I bought it when it first came out. I'm getting no where fast with what I'm doing now. And the DOF doesn't seem to work as it seems to be in recovery mode from the get go.
  4. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I got that error once. All I did was restart my PC and it restored properly. That would unjailbreak you though.
  5. pro2010

pro2010 New Member

So I've restarted my computer several times. Nothing.

If I simply click restore I get error message (9)
    If I press option+restore and select firmwarw 2.1 i get error (5)
    I went far out and tried it native 1.1.1 since that what I had when I got it error (20)

I've tried it on the PC. Won't work on my Mac. Still nothing.

Being it was pwned do I have to find the specific firmware that I pwned it with? My ipod is in recovery mode and must be restored. I just can't figure out how to restore it.
  6. DarthVader1432

DarthVader1432 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    is there a chance that he could give it back to apple and get a new one?
    apple never needs to know that it was washed

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hmm, i actually dont have the slightest idea what to do. Sorry man. Try putting it in DFU mode i guess. Maybe click the help thing about your error messages. They never help but might as well try.
  8. pro2010

pro2010 New Member

the pineapple at start up might throw things off a little

Technically speaking I have 3 days left on my 1 year warranty. What is DFO mode? If it's already in recovery mode I thought DFO was like the same thing.
  9. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  10. specialsyco

specialsyco New Member

DFU mode is a mode where the screen is black but the ipod is still on

have your ipod plugged in to your computer and on hold the home and power buttons for about ten seconds until the screen turns black. 2 seconds after it turns black let go of the power but NEVER let go of the home until its recognized in itunes and restore to official apple firmware