Renaming without "Rename"

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by red_5, Apr 27, 2009.

1. red_5

red_5 Member

Last time I used "Rename," my iPod got sent into a boot loop and I had to restore.

I want to rename "iFile" to "Finder," just for appearance sake. How can I do this?

Thanks!
  2. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    well if your wanting to name it that because a theme has a cool icon for Finder then just open the theme and rename the icon Finder to iFile and it will fix it other wards you could try to ssh into your ipod and change it to Finder.app maybe but im not sure about that
  3. red_5

red_5 Member

I don't care about the icon, I actually want to change the name to change the name.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Or can someone tell me how rename works, so I can possible rule out problems?
  4. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    /Applications/iFile.app/Info.plist

Somewhere there I think.
  5. michaelsipod

michaelsipod New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    theres an app on cydia to rename apps, forgot the name tho
  6. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    yea its called "rename" if youd read his post he doesnt want to use that app
  7. Erod434

Erod434 Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    To rename iFile you need to find its application identifier which is in its Info.plist (It should be something like com.xxxxx.yyyyy) Then you need to go to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/ and find LocalizedApplicationNames.strings and copy it to your desktop and rename it to LocalizedApplicationNames.plist. Then you should go back and rename the old file to something else to back it up. Next convert it to a readable format at http://iappcat.com/plist/bin2xml. After you have done that open it in wordpad add the ifile application identifier and the name you want it to have like the other apps are listed. Finnaly, rename the file back to LocalizedApplicationNames.strings and copy it back in there and enjoy your new name.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Modified

Modified Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The "Rename" apps work fine for me, I wonder why you are having problem with it....
  9. red_5

red_5 Member

Does rename run as a springboard extension or modify the strings file?

I believe my boot loop issue was caused by a springboard conflict that didn't allow it to fully load.
  10. BMatt

BMatt New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Rename worked on Native/Jailbroken Apps once, but now it only does AppStore apps for me... I used Erods solution.