Removing Ipod Touch Backplate

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by stealthtemplates, Apr 9, 2008.

1. stealthtemplates

stealthtemplates New Member

Hey,
    im just wondering how can i remove the ipod touch metal backplate? ive seen tutorials all over the net but most are for the iphone and they seem to do it very easy. Ive got the ipod touch disassembly tools but they dont seem to fit in the gap properly, had to sandpaper them to make it thinner but still no luck.

Is there a special technique i should follow in order to remove it?

Help would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks
  2. saysay

saysay New Member

Yeah try look for ifixit's disassembly. They got photos and a video up on youtube...the only one for the ipod touch. hope that helps
  3. stealthtemplates

hey,
    ive had a look at those but they dont seem to show the technique in removing the backplate, they way they do it is just get the disassembly tools and go around the ipod until it comes off, the thing is it looks like its been done many times so it will be easier to remove when doing it in the video. Ive also seen they used a metal tool to remove it on the site, i dont really want to use anything metal as there is a greater risk of scratching my ipod.
    thanks
  4. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    use a gutar pick and u got to wotk it in between the back plate or you a credit card
  5. stealthtemplates

hey, i dont currently have a guitar pick (should be getting some soon though) and with the credit card its like 3x as thick as what should fit inbetween the gap. the gap is tiny so yeh leaves not much left,
    thanks
  6. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well try to get the thinest gutar pick and y do u want to open ur ipod?
  7. stealthtemplates

when they come in the mail ill try,
    i want to open my ipod because i brought an OEM backplate from ebay, my current one is really scratched and this is perfect condition so i want to replace it. then ill buy a cover to protect it unlike the last one
  8. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OEM????

REALLY???

what serial number did it have?

If it has no Serial then It's not OEM

Let me know what seller, I've been looking to buy one.

A tip once you get the pate look around the edges so you can get an idea of what your dealing with.

Also use a metal tool, You might damage your old case but you have a new one, its better to use a metal one, Just put all the pressure on the back plate.

Or go here...

www.daydeal.com

and look for tools to take cell phones appart mostly in every single accessory you can find one of those tools.
  9. berky93

berky93 New Member

Im a guitarist and i've used all kinds of guitar picks (in fact, the pick use the most often is metal, made from an old drum cymbal)

anyway, none of the picks will fit into the crack on the ipod. you can get tools for that, which are like little screwdrivers adnd they work well.
  10. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Lol i used the gutar pick tons of time and i dont play gutar lol. To open it start on the cornors and loosen up everything around the ipod and keep doing untill it comes off. Y do this? Cuz then u wont break anything on the ipod.