Remove Signatures

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Germany, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Germany

Germany Banned

I have begun to realize how pointless signatures are and thus, I thought about what removing them would do. It seems that most of the signatures nowadays are filled with pointless jabbering, self-centered links, random forum cluttering quotes, and useless facts. There are also nonsensical smilies and ridiculous alt-code designs that don't need to be posted.

You are probably saying, why do you have a signature then? Well, everyone else does and I actually have some helpful links in there. Nevertheless, I don't like signatures. If you want to know something, just leave that person a visitor or private message. I assume several other people would back this suggestion. One of whom I know is Skylar.

I do believe that we the users should be given some freedom, but that is given to us in the form of profiles and messaging systems. Signatures seem to take away from the threads and sometimes lead them to get off-topic.

This is just a suggestion as the forum title states. I'm wondering what you guys think. I'd like to hear some thoughts.
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I say no to this. I like to show that I have a Twitter, and doing it by my sig is a good way.
  3. Pablojrz

Pablojrz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    don't take away signatures! they give links to peoples themes and that is kind of like r way of advertising r work. plus its not like anybody is forced to use signatures. if u dont like them than dont use one
  4. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    How do you have a pic in your signature? I thought wasn't allowed?

Edit: I'm a retard.
  5. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
  6. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  7. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I think we should keep them. Sure, There are a lot of pointless signatures out there... But many are also helpful. Also, Like Chung Said... I like showing that I have a Twitter account in my Signature.

But that's not all. Almost every large forum on the internet allows signatures, Why should this be any different?

They cause no harm in any way and if they do, Moderators can easily remove them if someone reports it or if they see them. We've had them for this long without any problem, So why not just leave it how it is?

Don't try fixing something if it doesn't need fixing

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I don't agree with removing signatures, but I think perhaps an option to disable signatures from being shown wouldn't be a bad idea...

For example, the OP doesn't want to see signatures, he can opt to not see them. Other users with differing opinions can do the opposite.

EDIT: Such an option already exists.
  9. KhmerB10

KhmerB10 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't mind, it's not as important to me
  10. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, thats just retarted.

Already those "cluttering" images are blocked. And we are still stuck with this ugly defult looking vB theme, and messed up images, defult smiles...