Remote Connection Help

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by engineers, May 17, 2008.

1. engineers

engineers New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    I need to be able to access my desktop wherever i am. at my house we have a router that i can remotely connect to from school using the ip address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx:xxxx. I am not sure how to get to the various computers on my network though? What do I do from there. i also have a network printer and that would be really nice to be able connect to that as well.

If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If you're at home, access the router by finding out it's IP address (example: mine is I can access the router (the default password is admin on my Linksys WRT54G) and then go to 'Applications and Gaming' go to the sub-topic DMZ, find out my computer's internal IP on the network and set it as the DMZ. Then, I find my computers external IP address (, enable remote desktop, and can access it using the EXTERNAL IP address when I'm not directly on the same network as it. If you're on the same network, you can use it's internal IP address.

If you mean printing from your iPod, I have no idea if that's possible. If you mean from computer to your printer, there should be options to set up a network printer. If you need help with this, give me the printer model and I may be able to find something out for you.

Also, if you need help finding your internal IP, or setting your IP on DMZ, etc. just contact me via PM.