Remembering Audio Book

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ingridg, Oct 27, 2007.

1. ingridg

ingridg New Member

My new iPod Touch doesn't seem to remember the last place I left off with audio books. I have check the properties in Get Info and have "remember position" and " not to shuffle" checked, but it won't work correctly. Oddly, it's not booting me back to zero, but remembering the last place I was (usually around 40 minutes that I've already listened to). Is there a special way you need to turn off the iTouch? I have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. whatanerd

whatanerd New Member

while reading up on .m4a files, i saw this @ wikipedia:

Audio book and podcast files, which also contain metadata including chapter markers, images, and hyperlinks, can use the extension .m4a, but more commonly use the .m4b extension. An m4a audio file does not "bookmark" (remember the last listening spot) on an iPod, whereas m4b extension files do. Users can rename mp4 m4a file extensions m4b to activate this and faster listen iPod features.

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

maybe experiment and rename your file to .m4b

if it already is, then I am not sure what you could do

hope this helps
  3. whatanerd

whatanerd New Member

also:

not sure if you have checked this, but check the AUDIOBOOK SPEED in the device settings:

home key -> settings -> music -> audiobook speed

Check to see what that is set at and experiment there as well
  4. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

I suspect that this is a downloaded ******* audiobook that is just a mp3 audio file and not a real iPod audiobook. While what audionerd said about m4b is correct Apple also has their own audiobook tag that the iPod recognizes. There's a free iPod audiobook coverter that does a great job setting the file up correctly.