Release [Release] WordClips

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by Sunrisemoon, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    WordMarks - V1.0

Download here

What are WordMarks?
    Essentially, WordMarks are are webclips with letters as icons, allowing you to spell out words or make sentences on your springboard.

Tips for Using WordMarks
    1. In case of losing iPhone - Write out your address, phone number, or the name to return the iPhone if it is lost.
    2. Make a page only for WordMarks - Since WordMarks are icons, they need a lot of space. I recommend making a page or two specifically for WordMarks.
    3. Write your initials.
    4. Put down your favorite quote.

How to Install WordMarks
    Required:
    An SSHing client on your computer (If you don't know how to SSH, you can use this guide: http://www.simonblog.com/2009/05/17/how-to-use-ssh-to-transfer-file-on-iphone/)
    SSH client in Cydia (or Rock)

How to:
    1. Make some webclips in Safari (click add to homescreen). Make the number of webclips you make equal to the number of characters in your WordMark sentence or word.
    2. SSH into your iPhone and navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Webclips.
    3. You will see a few folders with random letters and numbers. These are the webclips. Click one of the folders and download the icon.png (to make sure that the webclip is one of the ones you just created).
    4. Duplicate the letter that you want in the WordMarks folder. Rename the letter to 'icon.png'.
    5. Upload the newly renamed icon.png to the webclip that you want to have a WordMark icon. Now also upload the info.plist that comes in the WordMark folder to the webclip's folder if you would like your WordMark to have no name.
    6. Delete the duplicated letter in the WordMark folder on your computer.

Done!

ToDo:
    1. Make it easier to create a WordMark.
    2. Make more WordMark icons.
    3. Make the current icons 'prettier'.
    4. Make WordMark icons that are actually words and numbers (not just letters).

I'll take font, word, and color requests.

-Sunrise Moon

Attached Files:

2. iAppleTechGuru

iAppleTechGuru Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Im sorry, but I see nobody using these.
    Its a cool idea, but the idea of SSHing, taking out icon.png, and going through a bunch of sh*t just to spell out something that you can just put in the Wallpaper.png doesnt seem worth it to me.

I dont see too many people downloading this.

.. I'd get on that A.S.A.P, although I really dont see it being too possible

EDIT: Why not just make blank .app folders in /Applications, then making a WinterBoard theme to make custom icons for that?
  3. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah it is. You've seen apps in Cydia that are able to create webclips. I just need to figure out how to create them their way. I could also upload some completed webclips (that would be a lot...)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Because blank .app folders wouldn't work. They require an info.plist and icon.png too.
  4. iAppleTechGuru

iAppleTechGuru Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well instead of telling people to go on Safari and make a ton of WebClips, just tell them to go on iBlank and create them.

Even if, itll still take another hour and a half to go through EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE and replace the .pngs with custom ones. Im sorry but, its a crap idea.

If you could design an automated .deb that will automatically create a blank webclip that uses a user defined field (example "a"), then it would take that user-defined field and create a webclip with an icon.png specific to that letter that was defined.

EDIT: And why link to somebodys elses blog for a guide on SSHing, how about give back to the forum thats getting you publicity and link to a guide thats on iPodTouchFans...
  5. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It doesn't take very long to replace icon.png...And what you are saying is essentially an app to do it all, which would be nice, but I don't know how to create applications (yet)

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. iAppleTechGuru

iAppleTechGuru Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    OH MY GOD!
    ... theyre huge.

You expect us to spell out our address.
    I dont think so buddy.
  7. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I only did that because it was just a quick Google search. Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh in my posts. Truce?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    lol yeah, I realized that I had used too big of a font after I had created all of them. No need to worry about that though because I am creating more icons (lowercase too) and taking requests. I'm pretty new to theming (as you probably noticed)

8. iAppleTechGuru

iAppleTechGuru Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Kk, sorry for sounding like a douchebag, im just a little POed (not at you).

It really is a nice concept, just needs some improvements.
    Good luck.
  9. Sunrisemoon

Sunrisemoon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's fine.

Thanks! I agree, it does need a lot of improvement.
  10. fckinfamous

fckinfamous Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    A little too plain, but I like the idea.