[RELEASE] SpringBack - Backup and Restore your entire Home Screen layout

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Matt Donnelly, May 22, 2009.

1. Matt Donnelly

Matt Donnelly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    SpringBack is an easy to use application that backs up your entire Home Screen Layout with the touch of a button and then lets you restore by simply tapping a backup. It also be used to easily layout iNav Themes by just getting your hands on a persons backup and restoring to it. This means no more having to arrange blank webclips and categories! SpringBack is available to download from Cydia from BigBoss' repo

WARNING: Restoring to a backup that includes an application you no longer have, can slow down your iPod or iPhone. However if for some reason you do restore to a bad backup, SpringBack will automatically backup your current state so you will always have a working backup available

Why is it Dangerous?
    Whenever you unlock your iPhone it launches an application called SpringBoard (Which is essentially the home screen) and when the SpringBoard app is opened, it immediately looks at what applications you have installed on your device and then looks at a file to see where to display the applications. This file is what SpringBack backs up. So when the you restore to a backup that includes an application you no longer have, it sees that there should be an application here but the application doesnt exist, so it has no idea what to do, as Apple didnt put in a way for it to automatically put it at the end or something like that.

Special Thanks:

Justin Myers - Beta Tester
    Steven Carver - Beta Tester

Changelog:

1.0 - First Public Release

1.1 - Rename Backups feature added and icon changed

Coming Soon - SpringBack Pro

SpringBack Pro will allow you to not only back up your homescreen layout, but also your Categories and Stacks! It will even allow you to view what applications are included in your Home Screen Backups.

SpringBack Pro will cost €1.99

Here's a pic:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

2. iStainlezZ

iStainlezZ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    looks great gonna downlaod now been waiting for something to be able to do this
  3. busterke

busterke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I already made my backup

!

Should we make a thread to post backups and screenshots and themes, so we can share our lay-out?
  4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    NO you don't need to start another one of those this is a backup utility not a themer

Good job on the app
  5. busterke

busterke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I know, but if i want a delnoch theme, i could just put a backup from sombody else on my ipod, and also put the theme on, so I don't need to arrange all the icons..
  6. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I saw the Work in progres thread i think. Nice to see it is finally done.

Good job (Y).
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow i wanna changhe my inav theme

great idea and great work devs..
  8. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I hope for you, you built in some explicit checks that the apps listed in the backup plist are still present on the system before the restore is done. Since otherwise this will just end up in a flood of people which have omfgbricked their iPod using your program. Even if you give proper instructions, there are still morons out there who do not read it even if you put them in big bold letters on the screen - see the LogoMe disaster.
  9. LeanPocketTouch

LeanPocketTouch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When I was beta testing that I took the risk and restored to a backup containing one icon that I no longer had installed and 2 new ones that weren't in the backup. I was surprised when nothing happened. It didn't slow my iPod down.

I liked one part of the beta better. The ability to rename your backups again and again. If you could add that that'd be great.

-Justin
  10. Matt Donnelly

Matt Donnelly New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I added back the rename feature. I had removed it by accident when preping for the public release