[RELEASE] Home-made dongle schematics/program [NO NOOBS]

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by adamscybot, Feb 27, 2009.

1. adamscybot

adamscybot New Member

Hi everyone,

I said I would tell peeps how to do this so here it is. This isn't really a full tutorial as such, this is for people who know what they are doing. This is also untested (although im 99.9% sure it will work) as not all of my components have arrived yet.

What you need:

* An "rs run" ready ipod 2g - http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:ipt2g_dongle_prep
    * A PIC with a usart and internal clock. PIC16F88 (PROGRAM IS FOR THIS CHIP).
    * A PIC programmer.
    * Pod breakout board
    * The rest of the components you see on the circuit diagram (note that the diode is a ZENER diode).

I am simply going to post the circuit diagram and the assembly code that needs to be programmed to the PIC. You can find them attached.

As you can see this version requires an external power supply (9v battery). This is because the ipod can not output 3.3v before its already booted.

If anyone has problems, you can try adapting the circuit for use with an external crystal oscillator to provide a more accurate baud rate. This version has an 8% error from the "required" 115200, coming in at 125000bps.

Please note, the regulator in use on this circuit, the 7805 requires at least 7v to function correctly (bringing it down to 5v). This means 4xAA batteries wont cut it.

Another power solution is to use 3xAA batteries. This would provide 4.5V. This would eliminate the need for a regulator.

Attached Files:

2. apples

apples New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am not able to do this, because I have no knowlegde on this part. But I do think that it's awesome that you help the people that know what they're doing!

Nice job!

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Uhh... is this how complicated the official dongle will be?

4. adamscybot

adamscybot New Member

Well, electronics is electronics. Im guessing no, because he'll write something more noob friendly. This is for those who want to jump the gun or just have fun building their own solution.
  5. apples

apples New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nah, the Dev-Team write up will be ''n00b-friendly'', I've heard.
  6. Jaikob

Jaikob New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Nice man thanks! Great work!
  7. Chrisschulz

Chrisschulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm screwed.....

8. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    as it has been said, the dev teams version will be noob friendly.
  9. tat.zizzy

tat.zizzy Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Awesome!! I love Assembling circuits!! For those who don't know, it's pretty easy. I've already made a fm radio as a science project last year!! Only problem is I won't be able to buy half the products where I live!(India) even if I make a connector I.e. The 30 pin plug by cutting it off my wall charger, I won't be able to find a PIC chip here!! Even nitrokey won't ship their product so far. They're demanding 40$ for shipping!!
  10. milesaaway

milesaaway New Member

i may have to steal the parts from work and try this on monday