[RELEASE] Categories Update!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Tom_fn, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Tom_fn

Tom_fn New Member

I updated categories to v2.02b and fixed some bugs in it:

* Fixed names for core apps like “Notes” that was displaying as “MobileNotes” etc.

* Fixed names for core apps like “Notes” that was displaying as “MobileNotes” etc.
    * Fixed crash (thanks Matt) where if app is in a folder and then uninstalled, the launcher would crash.
    * Launcher now automatically removes uninstalled apps.
    * Fixed bug with extended character set folder names. They are now no longer allowed. If you already made one of these and cannot delete it, you must do it in SSH (sorry). Delete the folder out of /Applications then delete the line of text from /var/mobile/Library/Categories/list.txt
    * Implemented an updater app to update installed category folders on app update.

Some additional notes/known issues:

1. The folders are not real folders. They are apps that load that look like folders. To simulate loading faster, I save the previous image of the app’s last state when an app was launched. This is loaded automatically by the iPhone while the app is loading. So you may not be able to press any icons at first because the app is still loading. Internal Apple apps use the same trick (notepad, maps etc).
    2. I have some ideas to speed up loading of the folders and will work on them in the next day or two.
    3. Springboard on 2.0 has issues probably due to Apple’s DRM mechanism. There are cases where apps added do not show up (springboard bug) and respring takes a very long time and just spins (Apple’s bug). The more apps you have and the more often you add apps, the worse the problem can be. Categories is adding apps (the folders you make) and hiding other apps causing SpringBoard to reenumerate everything. Similar things happen when using appstore when lots of apps are loaded. Anyways, Saurik is looking into solving the issue in his mobile substrate.
    4. There is a known issue with the back button in the configuration app when editing icons.
    5. Springboard auto rounds some square icons. I may look into this but am not sure if it is possible to be done without increasing the load time of the app.
  2. shajiby

shajiby New Member

cool, updating now!
  3. Alpha911

Alpha911 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I just need a fix:

If you put Apps onto your Touch with WinSCP and you change the rights (you know what I mean).
    You cant put them into folders with categories cause this will obviously change the rights again. So you cant open them. Is there anything you can do to fix this problem??...Would be awesome...
  4. jack.misner@virgin.net

jack.misner@virgin.net New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    edit the first post Tom_fn:
    there is another update
    Quoted from http://sleepers.net/news/
    "Categories is updated to v2.03b. This addresses most the bugs reported and I have done my best to deal with speed issues on loading.

* Changed background loading from a “fake” set of icons to a folder provided by Allen over at planet-iphones.com. The other method, while cool, was causing issuus because the app looked loaded but it was not. This made it appear that the buttons needed to be pressed many times before they worked.
    * Removed the “save screen” option. This is related to the change above. This also speeds up the launching app process.
    * Added a caching system to help cut down folder load times when nothing has changed in folders. The first time a chance occurs, the cache is updated but subsequent loads should be faster. Load times seem to be reduced by about 33% due to it. The more icons in the folder, the longer it takes to load.
    * Added many icons provided by Ranova and Scott Weichert.
    * Fixed bug with funky navigation bar buttons in the main configuration app."