[Release] 2GStatus tool ~ Determine status of the 2G.

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by gojohnnyboi, Feb 7, 2009.

1. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

This started as an example for people to learn, however a lot of people wanted to have a release of it, so here ya go!

For windows users: I've compiled 2GStatus for windows also, and you DO NOT need libusb =]

Basically, this tells you if your iPod is disconnected, in recovery, in dfu/wtf, or in normal booted mode.

The binaries are uploaded. you may download them here:

OS X Intel - http://gojohnnyboi.googlecode.com/files/2GStatus-OSX-Intel.zip

Windows - http://gojohnnyboi.googlecode.com/files/2GStatus-Windows.exe.zip

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks guys!
    -John
  2. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Very nice. good job!
  3. Bi0hAzArD

Bi0hAzArD Member

wooo! no libusb! will this turn into a way to patch the ipod or will it always need libusb (to patch)?
  4. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is paving the way to a beautiful redTool update. As I said on IM, muchas gracias!!
  5. gojohnnyboi

it just means you dont need libusb installed to run the program. this means i can compile redj0hnny this way also. it's done by statically linking libusb into the binary.
  6. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    libusb is statically compiled, so there's no dependency on it.

Johnny, how do you go about statically compiling something?
    I thought of doing the same thing with iRecovery a few days ago, but I didn't have any idea how to do it.
    Also, I assume the library on your Google Code won't play nice with Windows?
  7. andydam123

andydam123 Member

This is awesome! Thanks.
  8. gojohnnyboi

you are correct. what is standard for both operating systems is a dynamic library, a seperately compiled code file, that you link against (dylib or dll, depending on os), and then is dependant on that file for running.

if you compile the library statically though (takes a bit more work), you wind up with a library that gets compiled into the binary. static libraries are .a

some installations/compilations of libusb actually give you the static library pre-compiled, however i just compiled the source so that i knew it was done right =p
  9. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, I've compiled libraries before (when compiling XPwn).
    It uses CMake though, and I've lost the makefiles that it outputs, so I don't remember how to statically link something.
    Is your makefile on Google Code correct where it simply includes the project's directory as a library location, then links libusb_static.a?
    I assume the static compilation comes from the library itself, not a compiler flag (I don't know much about compiling though), so I'll go ahead and compile libusb statically.
  10. gojohnnyboi

i can supply you with the libusb_static.a library for both windows and os x if you want.

and as for compiler flags, "-L." just includes the current directory for libraries, and "-l${LIBNAME}", in this case "-lusb_static" will link against that library.