reinstall installer app

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by joeyhbaby, Jan 19, 2008.

1. joeyhbaby

joeyhbaby New Member

alright. so i tried to reinstall the installer app because whenever i added sources they wouldn't show up. so i clicked reinstall and installer crashed. now when I click installer the whole thing crashes and won't open. Can I SSH into my iPod to reinstall it manually? or wouldn't that work? I'm running 1.1.2 firmware.
  2. joeyhbaby

joeyhbaby New Member

please someone help soon! I really want to be able to download the new Voip when it comes out!
  3. joeyhbaby

joeyhbaby New Member

okay. i SSH ed into it and copied my back up files of the installer.app to my ipod and everything works fine.
  4. KevinX

KevinX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    can you send me the backup file of installer please. mine too does not work.
  5. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can download the Installer here, that's the official repository link: http://repository.apptapp.com/packages/System/Installer.zip

1) Simply copy Installer.app (from the zip file) in the /Applications directory of your iPod, and make sure the programs (Installer, AppTapp.framework/AppTapp) have the executable flag set. You can change that by looking at the file properties in WinSCP, for example.

2) Before launching the program, you should check the application database used by the Installer before it was removed. Just for information:
    • /var/root/Library/Installer/LocalPackages.plist contains the list of the installed applications, keep this file or you won't be able to update or uninstall your applications!
    • /var/root/Library/Installer/PackageSources.plist contains the list of the repository sources. If you add a source, it will be stored into this file along with the new repository information fetched on the site.
    • /var/root/Library/Installer/RemotePackages.plist contains all the applications in the repositories. This file is reconstructed every time a refresh occurs.
    • /var/root/Library/Installer/TrustedSources.plist is the list of the trusted sources, maintained by the ones who did the Installer. This file is downloaded (that's my hypothesis anyway, it is regenerated if deleted).

Rename the /var/root/Library/Installer directory, for example to /var/root/Library/Installer.backup. Or copy those files to your PC and remove the directory on the iPod.

Launch the Install application, then quit when it has refreshed the sources. Don't install anything, don't add sources yet. It will have created the files again. Put the LocalPackages.plist back in order to be able to update/uninstall your apps.

3) Start Installer again, everything should be back to normal. You can add sources, make sure the repositories are correct or you could end up with the same problem you got in the first place.
    1 person likes this.
  6. KevinX

KevinX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thanks for this, but i have already restored my ipod and jailbreaked it again.
    But next time i will download it from this site, and thanks for your help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. danman

danman New Member

I am experiencing a similar issue, tried to upgrade my installer.app to a beta version then it crashed during the install. I tried to restore it using the method posted above, but now when I click on the newly restored installer, it just loads to a blank screen and crashes after like 10 sec. Any ideas how to fix this?
  8. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    same problem here
    a couple of people have had this problem..hopefully someone addresses it
  9. lucklucas

lucklucas New Member

1 person likes this.
  10. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I just checked, and there are in fact two executables, but I suppose you saw that?

Please Register or Log in to view images

If not, I edited the post above. Set the execute flags on those.