iOS 3.1 Regarding the whole idea behind unlocked phones.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Mobious, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Mobious

Mobious Member

Device:
    iPad
    Apple has the power to make a phone locked or unlocked to a certain carrier. Hence why some places they sell unlocked versions while others are locked. Now what I want to know is locking a phone, is it pure software or is there some hardware to it? And if its pure software then why can't we just do it like apple does it? Is it like a secret kept in fort knox or something? I know we can unlock phones by jailbreaking, but why can't be unlock the phones without jailbreaking? Thats all I want to know...I know it may sound stupid but I am just a curious iphone freak wondering.
  2. Ruud91

Ruud91 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol I wondered the same thing hope someone can answer this
  3. superrob

superrob Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Its rather simple. In some countries its declared that they need to be unlocked by law. And to have them unlocked they modify the baseband. This modified part is uniquely signed to that iPhone and which is why you cannot just transfer the unlock to another iPhone.

For example Denmark has the law that after 6 months the carriers shall allow a free unlock.
  4. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    From what I have been told, the IMEI for the iPhone to be unlocked is sent to Apple. Apple flags the IMEI on their servers as "unlocked".
    Apparently, during the activation process, Apple sends some sort of IMEI-dependent code to allow all SIM cards.
    This "check" doesn't happen locally with iTunes but it happens remotely on the Apple servers, meaning that it is almost impossible to program some sort of keycode generator to fool the activation/registration process of iTunes/Apple servers.

Weather or not this is true....I don't know.
  5. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

^ That sounds right. Whatever it is, the process must be impossible to fool, otherwise it'd have been done by now

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Mobious

Mobious Member

Device:
    iPad
    Thanks for the clarification guys.