Regarding the Touch 2G's battery life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by covaloch, Oct 5, 2008.

1. covaloch

covaloch New Member

Well, I've had it for about 4 days and some things worry me, so perhaps you guys might want to give me some insight.

Music: The battery seems to be awful...ly good for music processing. Used it for about 2 days, and 10 hours in, i've just barely touched the the 2/3 mark of battery life. Insane

Please Register or Log in to view images

Video: Never really tested it other than the video podcasts, but so far it doesnt seem to drain that much as the following.

Wifi: Omg seriously. I watch an hour long video on youtube, and (from a full charge) it goes down to half? Seriously? Just an hour? Even surfing non video/sound sites like wowinsider, and gamespot, and it drains noticeably fast. when i say noticeably i mean, i surf around, 10 minutes later, i look at the battery life and...woah, its moved enough for me to want to conserve the battery if i'm not near a charger.

Apps: I really am quite confused about this. I'm guessing its the nature of the game perhaps. Enigmo drains the battery out the fastest from my experience. From a full charge, i get to the 20% warning in say... 50 minutes? That's with audio on, and wifi on. Though i'm not surfing anything using the wifi. However when i'm using a news app like the New York Times app, it seems perfectly ok. Tap tap drains quite a bit too. about half an hour on the app, and battery's down 40%

Photos: Pretty awesome here, I went through 500 pictures by hitting 'play' and after everything, it took about say 10 minutes, the power bar barely budged.

Does this experience concur with any of you fellow 2G owners?

And no, i did not do a full charge (by full charge i assume u mean charging it 4 hours before using it) the first time i used it. I charged it maybe 2 hours, the bar looked almost completely filled, and i used it. No, battery memory doesnt work the same as for the old Ni-Cad batteries, so please dont post any well intentioned advice on how i should have done that. Even if it were true, i wouldnt think the effect would be that drastic.

I've yet to fully drain the ipod touch ( Only to set the recalibrate the battery circuit. I know its not good for li-ion batteries

Please Register or Log in to view images

. I'll be doing it soon though.

PS: The battery circuit.. is a little wonky imo. Perhaps they're doing it differently from most laptop battery indicators, but the indicators on the ipod touch 2G (I don't own a 1G so i wouldn't know) seem to change - Grow or shrink- Depending on what i'm using the touch for. Eg : 20% indicators come out when i'm playing tap tap revenge. I stop the app, and i start using it only for music, and after 10 minutes, i check the batteries again, and lo and behold! It went up to 30-35% approximately. Confirmation?
  2. ThatiPodGuy

ThatiPodGuy New Member

Battery lifew suck balls on all ipods for some reason!
    if they want to make the ipod touch 2g the funnest ipod ever then they need the battery life of say a DS!
  3. Pickaxe

Pickaxe New Member

Battery life is terrible. Especially after being used to companies to actually give a crap about battery life, like COWON.
  4. Apizao118

Apizao118 New Member

Hey I too have noticed a rather small Battery life for Wifi. I'm kinda annoyed by this. Do you think newer batches of Ipod 2g touches will fix this?

Also, about what you said about lithium ion batteries, Is it really true that its bad for the battery to drain it all the way??
  5. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I agree 100% with everything the OP said.

Another thing I've noticed is the Battery Level Indicator is very unreliable. I can get the 20% battery warning, then turn down the backlight a bit, lock it for 2 minutes, and look again and it will be up to 35-40% again.
  6. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    here is what i do to fix it especially w/ movies.
    1. turn off internet if not using it (this will have teh ipod stop looking 4 networks
    2. turn off nike+ ipod if u dont use it.
    3 a biggie is turn the brightness down
    4. heep the volume down. if the bulit in speaker is blaring it is draing battery
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    the reason 4 this is because the ipod trys to guess when hte battery will be out soit does the math on how mush battery life u have and how much u use do if it isn't bright it gets bigger number
  7. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

It's not that the battery indicator is not reliable it's just giving an estimate amount of time remaining of use If you plan on using the iPod Touch continuously at that specific state. Like you said, you locked the iPod for 2 minutes and turned down the brightness and the battery indicator told you that you have 40% of run time left. Like I said before the battery indicator is basically telling you if you continue to run this iPod Touch with the brightness lowered a bit you will now have 40% of run time left.
  8. Spd2Last

Spd2Last Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    But it doesn't make sense why the battery indicator would behave that way.
    Think about it... if the iPod is getting heavy use, there's only 15% of battery capacity left, but if you use it to simply listen to music without using the screen, the battery magically has 30% capacity left?
    The battery indicator is supposed to indicate how much battery life is left on the battery through a percentage, it's not an estimate of how much time you have left until it dies.
  9. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

Yea I know what you're saying. The battery icon tells you how much juice is left in the battery while the text tells you how much run time you'll have depending on what you're doing. My laptop is exactly the same. Say I'm browsing the web on my laptop on a 100% battery life my laptop usually says 2:45 or 2 hours and 45 minutes remaining. Then I start opening a bunch of applications which uses the CPU more and that 2:45 remaining quickly jumps down to 1:50 remaining and the battery is still at 100%. The PSP is also like this. I think it's the same with everything. Just remember the actual battery icon tells you the amount of juice that is in the battery at that moment while the text from the battery status tells you how much run time you will get depending on what you're doing.
  10. Apizao118

Apizao118 New Member

^he's definitely right, my laptop works EXACTLY the same way, and by the looks of it, so does my touch