Regarding Politics.

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Mekhami, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mekhami

Mekhami New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Now I agree with the general idea that politics should not be discussed on this unrelated forum.

However, disallowing us our right to support one of the candidates by having their image as our avatar crosses another line completely. We have an inherent freedom of expression that although you have the technical right to refuse, your morality as an American or a European or a citizen of the world in general should dictate that you allow the limited freedom of expression in this controlled setting.

Bottom line, political discussions get out of hand, but if I want an Obama avatar, that's an entirely different story.

And please, don't lock this thread out for a juvenile reason. And at least make an attempt to respond.
  2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Obama FTW!

Me saying that will cause... what?
    People posting why Obama is crap?
    People saying Republicans own?!?!

We'd have a forum full of opinionated idiots who'd fight over their beliefs. It's like how you don't see me starting threads about why I think Islam is a rubbish religion. It's a no-go area.
  3. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    First of all, when it's a private site where I'm paying for the servers and bandwidth to host the avatars and everything else, I have the RIGHT to have final say over what my resources can or cannot be used for. I agree that there should be a limited right of expression even on sites like this, and I feel that in general I allow that, but in my long experience running this site and others in the past, politics and religion are topics that quickly lead to trouble.

If that's not a good enough explanation, though I hope it is, I can put it a different way. Either people can respect the rules that I've instituted regarding the content of avatars, or I can just disable avatars for everybody and not have to deal with it anymore.
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    YAYYY!
    Disable avatars! Just what I wished for this Christmas.

Please Register or Log in to view images

There will always be someone ruining it for the rest of us.
  5. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well he speaks.
  6. Mekhami

Mekhami New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    So it is going to come down to a juvenile 'cause I said so?' Avatars are hardly controversial. You look, you see, you move on. It's expression for us, it's a badge of pride for me to support Barack Obama, and it's not going to cause dissent.

I acknowledged your final right to make the decision, and yet that's the first thing you jumped to. This leads me to believe that it truly is a juvenile act of power and not any really site-preserving judgement.

I guess that's all I needed to know.
  7. bgizzle

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I explained the reason already. Just because you disagree with me doesn't give you the right to make a thinly masked insult. Making a request doesn't automatically guarantee that it will be granted, and you don't need to act like a rude spoiled brat when you don't get what you want. That's juvenile.

My decision is final.
  8. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

I do not like to get involved with politics or religion...ever. I have doen it before and it leads to flaming and swearing...it scars me.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Bgizzle, I don't mean to offend you, but you have horrible comebacks.
  10. bgizzle

Device:
    iPhone 6
    And what exactly is the point of your post? Do you think anyone cares about your opinion?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.