Regarding Maps 1.1.3 on the iPod touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by Whosthatrandom, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

You know how supposedly we can use it to locate ourselves? Sounds great, but there's a major problem with this for the iPod touch version....

To use it, you need to be connected to a wireless hotspot. If it's one that you need to pay for to get internet access, you'll need to pay. If it's got security, you can't get in. Etc. Etc. Otherwise, your touch won't have any access to Skyhook's database of hotspots.

On the iPhone, if you have EDGE/WAP access, then you can easily acess the hotspot database without having to be connected to the wireless hotspots. Of course, you've got cell tower triangulation as well, but that's not the point.

Basically, it seems that the locate me feature on the iPod touch is rather redundant, unless you happen to be near an open, free, wireless hotspot.
  2. GeorgeGabriel

GeorgeGabriel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
  3. nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts New Member

This is probably why they allowed the installation/release of new applications to the iTouch. Think about it, someone at Apple was like, hell let's give what the customers want. More applications...yeah! Think about it, we give them what they want but they are technically screwed anyway so no harm no foul. Then some idiot said, yeah and charge them $20 bucks!

On the other hand, I do use my phone (AT&T 8525) as a wireless router and can use my iTouch to "tether" through my phone wireless router. Works but once again, redundant!
  4. Willberto

Willberto New Member

Or you could just have a general idea of where abouts you are at all times. The only requirement is that you're not in a coma. Cool feature but not worth all the talk about it.
  5. iPodTouchLuver29

iPodTouchLuver29 New Member

I don't think so, because in iPodTouchMaster's video, he pinpointed his exact location and it seemed like he was connected to his home network.
  6. nicox45

nicox45 New Member

wow, steve said you didnt need to be connected :S
  7. Downeaster1

Downeaster1 New Member

or you know, you could just use a map like a normal person

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

steve would never say that, seeing as it would be a complete lie, i watched his entire keynote from start to finish and he never said that