Reform of the "Community" Section

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Shawa, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I've only recently used the "Community" tab, and put simply, I was a bit disappointed. There are 3 options, Rules, Social Groups, and Friends.

This is mainly about the comcept Social Groups. I clicked in, to find that there are only two categories, Gaming Clans and Hobbies. With a total of five groups.
    With over 430,000 members, might the Community tab be more open/put to better use? One thing that stuck me was the inability to create a new group, having to request a new one. I know, there are moderation issues to keep in minds, but If it's a Community tab, surely it should be community-driven?

But really, I'd love to see a revamped community section, more open groups, possibly an Instrucatbles-style quick question box, maybe even some sort of userpage system; stylable, a quick bio, groups the member is in etc. Adding a more personal touch than statistics & VMs.

This would all be an addition though, not much existing on the site would have to change. Anyone else like this idea?
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    There is a thread that allows you to request new groups
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    =_=

This wasn't an "I want to make a new group but I can't" thread. What about the rest of the post; a completely revamped Community section, like what I was actually trying to talk about.
  4. Coca Cola

Coca Cola Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Agree, that tab is pretty useless... Also, adding a points system and a rep system would be epic, now wouldn't it? Also, how about that copyright, you realize it's fully vbulletin, right? Except adding a wordpress bridge, there maybe a few edits in a few files, that doesn't kinda make it vb powered. I think that can cause problems with jelsoft.
  5. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've only just seen that tab.
  6. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    1. We tried it. It didn't turn out well.
    2. You don't know what modifications he's made to this. He's made A LOT.
  7. Coca Cola

Coca Cola Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If it's design changes, that doesn't do anything with copyright. If it's modifications, nothing with copyright. Unless he made this from scratch, copyright should be there.
  8. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The points and rep system would become (As I heard it did) a complete disaster. The idea is for it to be a community, not just a 'try to gain more', but adding to the community.

I'm not the best at explaining thingsā€¦

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Copyright is still partially there.

Anyway back on topic. I think it's a good idea, revamp the Community section and get us all back together as a proper community. Like we used to be
  10. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeah I'd like to see some more action in the Social Groups area. However, requests for groups are virtually non-existant, so why not hit the staff with some ideas now? It's a start.