redsn0w: Unable to recognize specified IPSW

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by keegan123, Aug 27, 2009.

1. keegan123

keegan123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    redsn0w: Unable to recognize specified IPSW [SOLVED]

Ok, so I'm getting that error in redsn0w 0.8
    I'm using a ppc mac on os x 10.4 and trying it on the firmware in home/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
    redsn0w just keeps saying "Unable to recognize specified IPSW"
    I've been scouring the forums and google for an answer and comming up short.
    Is there something I have to do to the firmware file first?
    I'm following this tut: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232201
    I've updated from 2.2.1 jailbroken to 2.2.1, then to 3.0 through the iTunes store. Starting to wish I'd have left 2.2.1 on there

Please Register or Log in to view images

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update: After trying many times, and also trying the ipsw from the usual place, I finally found one that worked. Each of the 3 I tried had different md5 sums, so i don't know if the iTunes download was corrupted (even though it upgraded and worked fine not jb'ed) or if something has changed on Apple's side. So now, I'm jailbroken on 3.0, I guess if you're having the same problems, just keep redownloading the ipsw. The working firmware has the md5 of 8a3e43a448db6c34799f765c22d7528e
  2. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was typing my response then realized your problem has been fixed.

UGHHHH!

Glad to hear you worked it out yourself though.
  3. Shobitha

Shobitha New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    unable to recognize specified IPSW

hey

yea im still having problems, i thought this was going to be easy...
    anyway i use windows and i have the firmware and redsn0w downloaded and when i tried to go through with the jailbreak the message "unable to recognize specified IPSW" came up...
    thanks!

oh wait i forgot to mention that i downloaded a new firmware (as mentioned before) even though i had it already installed from itunes, i couldnt find the itunes one to install using redsn0w so i just downloaded it on my own and tried that...