iOS 4.0 redsn0w b5 & ultrasn0w - Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3G & iPod touch 2G on iOS 4

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ipodtouch123, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ipodtouch123

ipodtouch123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    GUIDE TO JAILBREAK &/or UNLOCK ON iOS4 USING REDSN0W

Please Register or Log in to view images

First of all, this is ONLY for iPhone 3G--> 3GS is not supported at the moment.
    Also, this will also work for iPod Touch 2G's(non-MC) as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING-->This jailbreak is ONLY intended for iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G (non mc model) users!!!

To check if your iPod is an MC model or not, go to your Settings app-->General-->About. Then, near the bottom of the list, find "Model." If the Model number written next to it starts with "MC", then you have an MC device which cannot be jailbroken with this tutorial.

Also, those of you with this question; if you have done a Spirit jailbreak on a previous firmware on the device, it will not affect this jailbreak at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATES

TUTORIAL

1.Upgrade to iTunes 9.2 if you haven't yet= http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

2. Connect your iPhone and click update and it will download the official iPhone iOS4 firmware.

3. Once download is complete--> Continue with the update and install it on your iPhone/iTouch 2G.

(NOTE: during update installation, it will ask to backup your iPhone/iTouch2G. Mine worked when I canceled the backup and some users also reported that with the backup, it was either not working or taking to long on redsn0w--> still need more people to verify if this applies to everyone so u may choose to backup if u want and it would be nice if you could just post your results here, and if you backed-up your iPhone or you did it with a fresh install. Thanks. )

4. It will restart the phone once the update is complete. On iTunes, you should receive a page like this, based on if you have the non-AT&T sim inserted or not.

Ignore that and continue. If you have an iTouch2G, u wont see this page (obviously...) so continue with next step.

5. Next, download redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5.

Links-->> Mac , Windows

Backup Links ([PIRACY.mf])-->> Mac, Windows

Backup Links 2 ([PIRACY.mup])-->> Mac, Windows

Backup Links 3 (zShare)-->> Mac, Windows

Backup Links 4 ([PIRACY.4s])-->> Mac, Windows

6.Run RedSn0w that you just downloaded. Select the official iOS4 firmware that iTunes just downloaded for you and the one that u updated to from iTunes. (not any other one like other GM ones from other sites). You can find it here:

For mac-->"USER">Library>iTunes>iPhone Software Updates or "USER">Library>iTunes>iPod Software Updates

For WINDOWS USERS-->
    (Found this in a post= http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207561)

7. It should then say ipsw successfully identified. like this-->

8. Click next and follow the instructions to jailbreak your iPhone/iTouch 2G. This will not only jailbreak it but it will also hacktivate it so no official activation by AT&T will be required once it is done (applies to iPhone only).

9. After redsn0w is complete, you should see a white Cydia icon on your homescreen. Dont worry, once you open cydia, let it reorganize and respring. If it still remains white after that, open cydia again and update whatevers availible to update and then reboot. That should bring back the original icon.

(next few steps only for iPhone 3G users that want to unlock their iPhone--> does not apply for iTouch 2G users)

10. Now, go to cydia and add the source: repo666.ultrasn0w.com

11. Now, after that source is added, open that source or search ultrasn0w. Click on ultrasn0w and it should say Ultrasn0w 0.93. Install it and reboot after installation.

12. If you havent already, insert your sim from another carrier (example-Tmobile...) and BAM!! you should be all set!

2. sotaku22

sotaku22 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Very nice guide, however, i've tried this like 5 times today and when i browse for the file it says it couldn't recognize the specified IPSW. Any ideas how to fix this?
  3. Llght

Llght New Member

Does this work on ipod touch 3G 32GB? MC model?
  4. ipodtouch123

ipodtouch123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Did you use redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3. As mentioned above? No other redsn0w beta works. Also, did you select the official file when asked to in redsn0w? It should be the one iTunes downloads and not other ones like the GM version.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Nope, sorry. Redsn0w doesn't work with iPod touch 3G or iPhone 3GS a.t.m.
  5. sotaku22

sotaku22 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I don't know why but it worked the 2nd time i did it today! You sir/maam are a great person with a great guide

Edit:
    Oh wait, why is iTunes telling me i need to erase and sync because i synced it with a different library? I did it all on the same computer
  6. ipodtouch123

ipodtouch123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    No Problem!

Edit:
    Erase what? wait, ohh... did you do an upgrade with all data remaining there? Cuz my iPhone didnt get backed-up from itunes cuz an error came up so it just installed iOS 4 fresh.
  7. neil_1821

neil_1821 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thank you worked a charm

just need to find a good wallpaper

I was using the windows version, however note of warning for Windows 7 users, you will have to turn on your hidden files and folders

It's then located in C:\Users\<USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    stuck. nice work
  9. ipodtouch123

ipodtouch123 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks so Much!! srry, didnt add that before cuz i have a mac and not win 7.... Added yours to the post.

Thank You.

10. CannonsMcFly

CannonsMcFly Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I Downloaded The Update Yesterday And Installed It On My 3G.

When I Open RedSn0w I Can't Find The Update In The Specified Folders.