Red snow vs Blackra1n<<>>>

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by almostregular, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almostregular

almostregular Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is redsnow better or blackra1n? Whats the difference? Can Ipod touch use Redsnow? how??? lol
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    why lol...?

Anyway I'd use redsn0w as the Dev-Team tend to work more diligently in making sure they have a bug-free jailbreak whereas geohot is the more accomplished hacker but tends to throw his stuff together.

You can jailbreak your device on 3.1.2 OS but it will be a tethered jailbreak. The new 3.1.3 OS is not jaibreakable for your 3G as yet.
  3. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    They have their strengths. blackra1n is the faster of the two choices and lets you install an app that you can use to install Cydia and RockApp, but it isn't anything special. redsn0w is more powerful and seems to have a cleaner and stronger way of doing things. It can also install Cydia, and it even lets you have custom boot logos or verbose boot. The newest version is supposedly the best choice for 3rd generation, and can even support the new 3.1.3 firmware. I recommend redsn0w.
  4. OrngeTraffcCone

OrngeTraffcCone New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you said you can have custom boot logos, but isnt that just a matter of finding it within the system files or however they make any themes?
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

No, it's a matter of writing it to the proper addresses in the ROM, as this is not a system file but part of the firmware itself. Blackra1n may be faster, but redsn0w and most of the Dev Team releases have been the more compatible, more stable jailbreaks.

About the only way to fail to jailbreak using Redsn0w is to not follow the instructions, really. Blackra1n has one advantage in that situation - you press one button and go. However, blackra1n also has had a lot of failure cases as well, more than redsn0w has in the past.
  6. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    redsn0w ftw. the DevTeam is amazing. I support them 100%. although blackra1n is faster...way faster, it has WAYYYYY too many problems to deal with. Just follow the correct instructions for redsn0w and you're set!
  7. Miadhawk

Miadhawk Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Thery're the same, and they are enteriely different

Redsn0w is made the the dev team
    Blackra1n by GeoHot

They are similar jailbreaking software, they both allow mobile substate addons and give you the ability to customize

So whats the difference?

Redsno0w takes a bit longer than Blackra1n, BUT blackra1n seems to have a higher problem rate than redsn0w, notice how the dev TEAM made it. GeoHot worked on his own, I have jailbroken with blackra1n, it was the ONLY thing availible at that time.
    What I do like about redsn0w is that it allows custom boot logs and recovery logos. It even allows verbose boot and installs cydia for you. Blackrain give you a choice, cydia rock, or both (they used to have icy but not anymore!)
    so overall, redsn0w turns out to be better

NOTE: Redsn0w is not better in terms of speed when operating your device. If your apps tend to lag at exit, disable some mobile substrate ad dons, themes, winter board etc. take up a lot of memory. But using one or the other will note make operation faster. But redsn0w is customizable. Another thing is that redsn0w already allows custom logos even if you jailbroke with blackra1n, just select already pwned (LOVE THAT WORD) lol. And you should be on your merry little way!

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Johannes Deegen

Johannes Deegen Community Development

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Blackra1n sucks.

On my computer it doesn't even work. It'll say running and then through my touch into a black screen and then it does nothing. It just sits there.

Redsn0w might take a little bit longer, but it is definitively better and is less likely to fail.
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Please do not bump old, dead threads.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.