Red Ring Of Death!!

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Dis, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Dis

Dis Banned

Nooooooooooo!!
    First timeeee ever.
    I've had it since about October 2006, so its not covered by warranty

Please Register or Log in to view images

It's gonna cost around £50 to fix, and will take about a month

:|
  2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

It should be in warranty, you should have 3 years.

Also, Ha
  3. BCS321

BCS321 New Member

PS3 FTW!! I have a PS3 and honestly, I am completely satisfied with it. Please don't start fanboy flame wars. Anyway, back on topic, that sucks, but the good thing is that it can be fixed, and relatively cheaply.
  4. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

that sucks if you dont have warranty anymore.

5. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    look on youtube...

i heard there are ways to fix it...

its probly bullsh*t but it might be worth a shot if it means you dont have to pay....
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Which type of the Red Ring of Death do you have?

Before you call 1-800-4MY-XBOX, be sure to unplug all cables and let it sit for 20+ minutes. Re-insert all the plugs and try it again. If it still shows the RROD, then it might be because..

If it's 3/4 red, with the top right hand quarter green that means you have a hardware problem and should call 1-800-4MY-XBOX for them to fix it. It'll cost you though. Are you sure you're not under a 3 year warranty? If so you have till October 2009 if you bought it in October 2006!

If it's fully red, try unplugging all cables and insert them again in about 10-20 minutes. When the whole ring is lit up, it's usually because of a problem with the AV cables. If it still doesn't work, you might want to call the hotline.

By the way, for the ways to fix it on YouTube, some of them are plain ridiculous! One user wrapped his XBOX in towels for 20 minutes until it was very hot, then unplugged all cables and plugged them back in and it apparently worked again. This will just cause it to overheat!
  7. eraserhead

eraserhead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    They extended the warranty recently to three years due to all the hardware failures, I would just call Microsoft instead of messing with it yourself. You may run the risk of voiding your warranty. I also bought mine at release date and this happened to me a few months back. I had mine back in a few weeks even with the shipping time to Hawaii.

You can check Microsofts website to see exactly which error code you have, most likely its a hardware issue and will need to be returned anyway. They even give you a free month of XBOX live to comp you for the time they had your console, and you will have a refurbished unit that will hopefully last another 3 years or more...who knows with the towel trick or anything else on YouTube.
  8. 13ooster

13ooster New Member

towel trick works but its not good for xbox
  9. parak33t

parak33t New Member

MEH MINE JUST Broke too

. Literally 10 minutes ago. Though within the past 2 months it has been screwy, I didn't use it for a month because my video was screwed up (two red lights) but that went away while trying to overheat

lol. But last night all the colors changed to a yellow tint(has happened before with screen blue also). Go turn it on tonight and it had the red rings. MEH. This is my fourth xbox, wouldn't trade it for a ps3 though (first two broke within a day after christmas)
  10. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I've yet to experience this phenomenon.

I probably just jinxed myself, however.