"Red Band" on email messages

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dmn1968, Nov 4, 2009.

1. dmn1968

dmn1968 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My wife has an 2G ipod touch (version 2.2.1) 16GB, not jailbroken.

When she looks at emails (in the inbox, sent or trash folders) they are all displayed with a red band across the bottom of the screen. The red band extends the entire width of the screen, and is approx 1cm in height. It has only started appearing since the weekend. This red band only occurs when viewing an email - not in Safari or any of the other apps that came with it or she has since downloaded. She thinks it might be something to do with accessing an unsecured network round a friends house. Everything appears to work fine, including sending and receiving emails.

My questions are:
    1. What is this?
    2. How do I get rid of it?

All advice gratefully received. I have tried seaches on this forum and google for terms such as red band, red line but with no success.

Dave
  2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    can you take a screen shot and post it here? that might help me a little...
  3. dmn1968

dmn1968 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    As requested, I (hopefully) attach a photo I have taken of the ipod showing the "red band".

This red band appears in the same place on all emails in the inbox, outbox or trash, and for all formats (html and plain text). Also, when an email is viewed, we cannot "drag" the screen to scroll the email left and right. Again, this red band appears only on the email tool, and nowhere else. Apart from this, the ipod is working fine.

I do notice that she has 99 emails in the inbox - I thought perhaps that this could be some kind of indicator that her inbox is nearly full, however she assures me that she has had far more emails than this (and a quick look at her email account settings says 17.1MB of 20MB space is full - I will get her to move emails into local folders on the desktop PC).

I have put a bit of paper over my wifes email address for reasons I am sure people will understand.

Many thanks again for any advice.

Dave

Attached Files:

4. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    uh.....wow...um...i honestly don't know whats up with the red bar at the bottom......
  5. amaan

amaan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i'd thought u had some wrong idea about something n were calling it a red bar......wow! go show this to the apple store