Recorded TV on iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chesterbud, Oct 17, 2008.

1. chesterbud

chesterbud New Member

Hi everyone. I'm considering purchasing a 2nd gen Touch but cannot get the same answer twice by retailers.

I often record TV shows to my multi media center PC (ie. hard disk) using the Media Center software in Vista Home Premium and would like to import some of these TV shows to an iPod Touch. Can this be done and if so how???

Thanks for any assistance you can give me as this will have a major influence on whether I purchase a Touch.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If the Format that Windows Media Center uses is DRMed, you'll outta luck there pretty much.

BUT, if it is un-DRMed, you can just use any software to convert videos to put on your iPod Touch. Check my signature for software to help get the job done.
  3. Germany

Germany Banned

It's possible, but I'm thinking you'll need a file converter to convert your files to .mp4

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    can't u just take DRM off? with a program.
  5. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

You sure can my friend.

2 ways:

1) [Illegal] Crack the DRM (using whatever program, I haven't looked into this very much, but the process is illegal so I wouldn't assume the programs are readily available for DRM CRACKING.)

2) [Legal] Re-Record. Basically what it does, is it copies all the frames from the video, and saves it as an un-DRM'd file. Basically its like watching it, full screen and using a screen recording program... (Except the quality looks the exact same as the DRM'd file.)
  6. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Option 1 is far easier, because he'd have to watch each one of his video collection files in order to achieve Option 2.
  7. chesterbud

chesterbud New Member

Thanks Puredudes. I did try to take a video that I captured using Pinnacle. It was saved as an avi file. Then I moved it to my Videos folder on my PC but iTunes didn't pick it up. The only video iTunes seems to pick up are Quicktime files. Any sugeestions on what I can do?

My understanding is that you have to get a file into itunes and then run the converter for Ipod format on it before you can trnsfer it. Is that correct?

Thanks.....
  8. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

DRM will prevent you from changing the extention of any media file.
  9. Spd2Last

Spd2Last Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    First you'll have to convert the avi file to either a mov or mp4 file so iTunes could recognize it. The easiest little converter I have found is iPodME. There's no installation necessary, just save the program somewhere, open it, and drag the video files you want to convert into its little window. Make sure you don't have the video files you want to convert in the same folder as the program because the converted file will overwrite it. To be sure you don't overwrite your originals, create a new folder and copy iPodME into there, then simply open it and convert your files.

Hope this helps
  10. PCKid

PCKid New Member

If they're in avi to begin with I doubt they are DRM protected. Another good program is Visualhub (Mac only) or Handbrake. Handbrake I notice is also available for PC and looks like it would be exactly the same.They have to be in mp4 to work both in iTunes and on your Touch. I've converted bucket loads of TV shows and Movies from avi to iTunes. Latest Version 8 allows you to catagorise the videos between Movies, Music Videos and TV shows. looks neater on the Touch. Audio books too.