Recommended Resolution on Videos

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cowboyshootist, Oct 7, 2007.

1. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Greetings,

I am in the process of ripping my DVD collection in preparation for the arrival of my iTouch next week. I have been playing around with Videora iPod Touch Converter and the trial version of CloneDVDMobile. Both seem to put out good conversions but I am wondering what resolution I should be using for various video formats?

For example, if the content is 4:3 (NTSC TV) what should I use? What if the content is 16:9 (Widescreen DVD)? I would like to preserve the native resolution as much as possible while still using maximum screen real estate.

Any recommendations on 1 pass versus 2 and any other parameters that will give the optimal video quality?

Thanks in advance.
  2. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

well, if you read the specs from Apples site, you would know that the screen is 480 x 320. i would recomend using that res. unlesss you plan on hooking up to a tv, then use 640x480 or similar
  3. cowboyshootist

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well I did read those specs and the problem is that 480x320 (ratio of 1.5) is niether 4x3 (1.33) or 16x9 (1.78). Also I don't believe that CloneDVDMobile gives you an option of 408x320.

Just wondering what people are using to maintain the aspect ratio?
  4. rparamount

rparamount New Member

I've been using 720x406 for widescreen. It seems to work quite well.

-RP
  5. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

oh, i have never used that program before. I understand that Apple chose to use some oddball aspect ratio,and am rather annoyed by it. perhaps the program offers 480 x 272?
  6. Mustachio

Mustachio New Member

What you should do, is resize your video according to the aspect ratio. But then try to make one of the sizes match up to the ipod touch screen size. You will get black bars on almost all content regardless unless you watch it zoomed in.

TV shows (non widescreen) use a 4:3 aspect ratio, which at max res the ipod can handle would be 640x480. That resolution is obviously higher than the ipod. To maximize for watching zoomed so your resolution matches the width of the ipod screen you should go for 480x360, and to maximize it for height, and not watch zoomed in 320x240 would work.

Widescreen television is broadcast at 16:9, so maxed out you would get 640x360. and your other resolutions would come out at 560(or 572)x320 and 480x272. Now these resolutions dont exactly match the aspect ratio, but they are divisible by 16 like they should be.

Movies come in two different aspect ratios. 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. I will go through the rundown of what I would recommend

1.85:1... 640x352, 592x320, 480x256

2.35:1... This one is slighty trickier as there is no resolution that will match the full height of the display without going too high on resolution. The two for this aspect ratio I would recommend are 640x272 or 480x208.

These numbers assume all videos are cropped to the aspect ratio with no letterboxing.

These resolutions will maintain the original aspect ratio of the source and maximize them as much as possible for the display of the ipod. If you want the full res sizes, go for those, otherwise for widescreen I would recommend using the resolutions where the height is 320 and for fullscreen use the resolutions with the width of 480. That way you get a smaller resolution, for better file compression and file size, but if you intend to watch zoomed in it will not actually be enlarging the movie....

If you intended to watch everything at the actual size of the screen, you could always crop your videos... a little on the top and bottom for full screen and a bit on the sides for widescreen and make the resolution match the ipod at 480x320

Best of luck
  7. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you are ripping DVD's then I recommend you just use this program.

http://handbrake.m0k.org

Just use the setting for iPod normal or High Quality, whichever you choose.

The program works great, it is one step to rip, encode and it even places the video file in your iTunes library so it is ready to load to you iPod Touch when you receive it.

Have fun.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. cowboyshootist

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'll give it a try. Thanks
  9. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

nice work with the numbers! i'm always happy to see that some people here actually do know something that is useful

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. veryniceipod

veryniceipod Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes, handbrake is a great program. I use it all the time to convert my DVDs to iPod format.