"Recent packages" not showing up in installer!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by toomuchcaffeine, Dec 6, 2007.

1. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    In installer the recent packages section is blank except for the titles. Anyone else experiencing this or know how to fix it?
  2. toomuchcaffeine

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    bump

Anybody have any idea? I'd really like to get this fixed, before it broke I was refreshing my sources and checking the recent packs really often.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't have that problem, that's a weird one. Did you add a lot of sources to the Installer?

Maybe you can check this thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13859

If you backup those files, quit the Installer and remove RemotePackages.plist, it will regenerate this file again the next time you start Installer. Maybe this file was corrupted?

If that doesn't solve your problem, maybe it's because Installer can't cope with the number of sources or applications. What's the size of this file on your iPod? Here it's a reasonable 640 kB.

Maybe your source file is corrupted... check the TrustedSources.plist and PackageSources.plist files. Beware, if you remove the last one it will not reconstruct it from TrustedSources!
  4. toomuchcaffeine

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That didn't work. My remote packages file is around 1100 kb. Yes, I have a lot of sources installed. How exactly can I check if those last 2 files are corrupted?
  5. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I wish I knew

Hum, seriously I never really looked at them, I'm just thinking that something must disturb the Installer. They're easy to verify, PackageSources.plist is a repetition of the same structure of tags that must open and close (<tag> ... </tag>). TrustedSources.plist is straightforward.

But if you tell me that the Installer regenerates the RemotePackages files, and you still see those missing descriptions, it could be that there are too many packages for the Installer. You can easily check that by removing the sources one by one and checking if that solves the problem.

Or one of the source is feeding the Installer with rubbish and the Installer tilts before putting the descriptions (they're all missing, right?).

Honestly I can only make guesses, and too many sources seems to be the most likely.
  6. toomuchcaffeine

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I removed a few sources. It didn't seem to make any difference. I think what I'm going to do is just reinstall installer. What file do I have to backup so that installer remembers all of the stuff I installed with it? I don't care about having to re-add all of my sources though, seeing as that's probably where the problem is coming from....
  7. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Err, last time I saw a post about someone who uninstalled the Installer, it was to say he had to restore

Just kidding, or almost, be sure you can re-install it manually. Apart from the files I mentioned above, I have no idea. Maybe you should try to contact the ones who did this program? They surely have an idea of what is going wrong.