Receive text messages

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kaput, Sep 24, 2008.

1. kaput

kaput New Member

I can't find anything on this either on this forum or through Google.

If I were using AIM for text messaging on the Touch, how would I be able to -receive- messages from people with phones? All I can find is info on -sending- messages.. what if someone has the urge to contact me, rather than the other way around?

On the same note, if I receive a message from a phone in the above scenario, and I'm not currently logged in to AIM, can it still be sent as an "offline message" that I will be able to see when I next log in?

EDIT: I would rather not use the Mail app for the texting, so I'm focusing on AIM here.
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Buy a f***ing iPhone. It's an iPod touch and was not meant for texting. If you want to easily send and recieve messages, use a real phone. It can't be that hard.
  3. desi_soulja

desi_soulja Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    why are you so harsh on the guy? iPhones are expensive.. and if he already has an ipod touch, why the f*** would he want to buy an iphone if it basically has the same features?
  4. kaput

kaput New Member

There's two issues: one, I'm deaf, and two, I'm in Canada, which means I'd be paying a combined minimum of $2400 over three years for 400 MB of data and 75 text messages a month. Meanwhile, with an Ipod Touch connected to Wifi, I can use the only functions I need (email and texting) for a one-time fee of $250.
  5. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It isn't just a simple fix, but I understand the predicament there, And Gitykins... does that make you feel like an ass as much as I think it probably does?
  6. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats gotta make him feel terrible.

I thought AIM could send/recieve messages. It worked for me when I texted my phone from it. Use the AIM app in the appstore. And then the number like this:
    Ex: +12345678901
    1(234)567 8901

Just put a 1 in front of the phone number and a + in front of the 1
  7. kaput

kaput New Member

I've been experimenting with that, and I've found a couple things that worry me.. on some older phones (or some phones in general), they will receive messages but won't be able to reply (the phone will specifically say that they can't reply), and I don't want to not be able to talk to someone because their phone is outdated. The other concern is it still doesn't address the issue of allowing them to contact me out of the blue.
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

You can buy a phone with texts and no minutes.
  9. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well, eventually push data is supposed to support more programs than mail, but for now it doesnt, maybe some of the aim apps in cydia run in the background?
  10. kaput

kaput New Member

Not in Canada. Perhaps with prepaid, but they have terrible phones, and it includes no email support. And to top it off, I'm using a Touch during lectures to receive "real-time" captions typed by a notetaker.